Noob question about bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbodaman

Reaction score
Is it safe to bottle carb in growlers? I have a thermo flask one (with locking top) and was thinking about buying a glass one from a local brewery (basic screw on cap). Would both be safe (not explode/blow off top)? I have small parties (5-6 people) most Saturdays and it's much easier to just grab a growler and pour everyone a pint... and much easier to bottle. Also I know wine bottles are off limits but how about Champagne ?

Anything made to hold contents under pressure should work.

I carb up apfelwein in champagne-style bottles that originally held Martinelli's sparkling cider. Good thing about the Martinelli bottles is that they take a standard crown cap.

I've carbed in swing top glass growlers before as well. I don't go to crazy high volumes of C02, though... I stay in low 2's.

The rest would go in bottles as per usual, I'm just wondering if growlers are safe with about 2.5 vol's of CO2. My Gf bought me a very nice swing top growler and was hoping to put it to good use. Glad to hear it works.

Last edited:
It is said that it is not advisable to carb in a glass growler, however, plenty of people have done it without problem.

*shrug*

You'd also want to make sure that you're fully done fermenting.

How big of a growler? 64 or 32? I've only done it in 32s. Take a look at the glass thickness as well. If it seems particularly thin in places, then maybe it's not worth the risk. You could lose both a beer and a growler :0

Right now I have a 64 oz growler which is made out of aluminum ( 2 walls), with a flip top. I was considering buying a 64 oz made out of dark glass the same thickness as a normal bottle (possibly more thick). I'm pretty sure the aluminum one will be fine thanks for the replies.

From what I've read on here, growlers won't hold the carbonation as they don't seal tight enough. I don't think your growler will be constructed like a Kolsch bottle with a thick rubber seal and tight fit. When you fill or buy a growler of beer it'll only stay carb'd a day or two so pretty sure I wouldn't waste that much beer trying it out.

I have no experience with this, but I wonder if your priming sugar amounts would be different for a growler than a regular bottle. I know that priming in a 5 gallon corny keg uses a smaller amount of sugar than when the beer is split up between bottles. Since a growler holds so much beer, I would think that like a corny keg, you would need to decrease the amount of sugar you use.

Back