Noob in need of help with Hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubberband

Reaction score
Okay, I have my second batch in primary and it has been 10 days since brew day. I'm brewing a kit of "Full-Bodied Weizenbier" and the instructions say OG = 1.048 to 1.052 and a FG = 1.010 to 1.014.

My readings are OG = 1.054 and today I checked it SG=1.017. My question is basically, what does this mean? I am a little high on both the OG and the FG right now, could this be a problem with how I read the Hydrometer? I've looked at the pictures showing proper readings with the miniscus and thought I had it.

After reading this forum like a love crazed stalker to glean every bit of information I can, I am still having doubts. Weizen was to be a quick ferment to bottle and I am having difficulty deciding how long to go in the primary. I think I'll wait until the two week mark to take another reading. If I let it go to 3 weeks before bottling, will this have an adverse result on my beer?

BTW, the beer tastes great and I could drink a couple pints now and be real happy.:D

Let the beer set for a few more days then take a reading. I wouldn't worry about your OG being a bit off, its not a drastic difference. I always ferment for at least 21 days if not longer.

Was this AG or Extract? Sometimes extract SG are a bit higher.

This was an extract kit from Brewers Best, xmas present and my first brew on 2009. I appreciate the advice, will the SG still go down into the range of recipe or can I expect it to remain high?

21 days actually fits my work schedule better, I was not planning on going to a secondary because it is a wheat beer. That being said, I had some exceptional clear heffes in Germany.

FWIW, this thing had a band about 4 inches tall on the bucket wall from the fermentation, it even made it to the bucket lid. I was a little worried when I pitched the yeast (dry yeast added to water), because it smelled so bad.:confused: the best description I could give is vomit or badly curdled milk. Bubbled fast though so something is working.

The Final Gravity might be a little high, but once the hydrometer bottoms out (you may need to take a reading once every 3 days) it is done fermenting. I would think that 21 days would be plenty long for it to finish fermenting.

Then band is the Krausen, it happens to all ale. It rises up for a few days then sinks back down into the beer.

BTW, what temps are you fermenting at?

Did you adjust your readings for the temperature? Most hydrometers are calibrated for 60 degrees. You can use an online calculator or mine came with an insert to calculate the adjusted SG.

My temps are pretty steady at 65 to 67, I have to use a brew belt to do this. I am using basement and temps are steady at 55 to 56 and I was thinking of taking off the brew belt this weekend and letting the beer cool a little. This should be okay shouldn't it? Just thinking this wheat may clear a little bit but I don't want to kill fermentation if it isn't finished.

As for the readings being adjusted for temperature, I have been using a beer math calculator that found reading this forum. My readings seem to be pretty close to actual as my temperature is not much over 60.

I'm thinking of building a fermentation chamber for getting my temps a little higher or potentially lagering. This is one addictive hobby, two batches and I'm going pro already.

My temps are pretty steady at 65 to 67, I have to use a brew belt to do this. I am using basement and temps are steady at 55 to 56 and I was thinking of taking off the brew belt this weekend and letting the beer cool a little. This should be okay shouldn't it? Just thinking this wheat may clear a little bit but I don't want to kill fermentation if it isn't finished.

As for the readings being adjusted for temperature, I have been using a beer math calculator that found reading this forum. My readings seem to be pretty close to actual as my temperature is not much over 60.

I'm thinking of building a fermentation chamber for getting my temps a little higher or potentially lagering. This is one addictive hobby, two batches and I'm going pro already.

After fermentation is completely done, and the FG is stable, you can remove the brewbelt if you would like to. That will cause the beer to clear a little bit.

Back