NOOB in Kapa'a

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been ripped-off by AirGas too many times. They even short-changed me .6 lbs. Said the reason for the high cost is it's "food grade" and they follow FDA procedures... they'll BS until you just walk away, knowing it won't do any good to argue with them. See the receipt, attached. Note also a "cylinder processing fee"... $40 because it was my tanks. Add a hazmat fee. $17/lb.

Attachments

• IMG_1641 copy.jpg
    IMG_1641 copy.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 20
They charged you for two 10 lb tanks. How much is it if you exchange tanks?
You're not being ripped off. You can ask them how much its costs and not use their service if the price is not a good value.

They charged you for two 10 lb tanks. How much is it if you exchange tanks?
You're not being ripped off. You can ask them how much its costs and not use their service if the price is not a good value.
My two tanks are 5lb each. I only got 10lbs total. I knew they'd overcharge... and short-change me (they've done both in other circumstances before)... but I wasn't prepared for how much. There is only one other place to get CO2 (and they normally charge $30 per 5lbs), but they get theirs from AirGas: and they couldn't refill tanks because AirGas was telling them their equipment to refill the larger tanks was broken so they can't sell it to them. So, they first forced a monopoly.

I've been told not to exchange tanks at AirGas: you bring them a new tank, and they replace it with a nearly expired tank. I'm not the only one they rip-off ;)

My two tanks are 5lb each. I only got 10lbs total. I knew they'd overcharge

In my experience, filling 2, 5lbs tanks does not equal 1, 10 lbs tank cost wise at most places. If worried about the expiration date just ask them when swapping for one with an expiration date that's not within the next few months and then swap it before it expires/empty.

You could also look into fire prevention shops and welding shops. I was informed by the gentleman filling my bottle, that the CO2 at my local welding shop is "beverage grade" and while there is no proof of that the price point is great. Airgas has more peace of mind on the purity and grade, but tends to be a bit more expensive.

Unsure... I picked it up; they don't know my address. When I first dropped them off, they said they will be filled in a week... it took three weeks.

well, for the record, i swap my 20lb tank for $27.....which seems normal for most people....

In Northeast Ohio, at a gas shop that does lots of propane (Big Oats), for CO2 a 5lb swap is ~$19 and a 20lb swap is ~$21.

I used to go to a welding shop that did refills (ARC Welding), and the price was different every time, but was in the same ballpark.

My two tanks are 5lb each. I only got 10lbs total. I knew they'd overcharge... and short-change me (they've done both in other circumstances before)... but I wasn't prepared for how much. There is only one other place to get CO2 (and they normally charge $30 per 5lbs), but they get theirs from AirGas: and they couldn't refill tanks because AirGas was telling them their equipment to refill the larger tanks was broken so they can't sell it to them. So, they first forced a monopoly.

I've been told not to exchange tanks at AirGas: you bring them a new tank, and they replace it with a nearly expired tank. I'm not the only one they rip-off ;)
My local Airgas is still well above my LHBS. I think it was $30ish to refill, which Airgas does in store, but only $25 at my LHBS.

That's definitely way too high. Like they charged you for a new tank. New 5# tanks (not filled) are $75 on morebeer. 10# are $100. Definitely something fishy going on...

You re-filled two 5lb tanks? The invoice clearly says 2 x 10 lbs. So maybe they just didn't enter the right amount? Its always cheaper to exchange rather than re-fill. Don't worry about giving up a new tank and getting an old tank. That's just the way it goes. I've used Airgas many times and they never care about the expiration date. But just ask your local location about it and ask what their policy is.
If the invoice is a typo, they should make the adjustment. If they don't, I'd try to talk with the store manager and then the regional store manager.

The invoice clearly says 2 x 10 lbs.

That's what I thought too... I called their corporate, and they say the code on there is for two 5lb tanks :(

Don't worry about giving up a new tank and getting an old tank.

I have a friend whom AirGas gave an old tank to in exchange: he came back a month later to get it refilled, and they wouldn't,saying the tank had expired and he'd need to buy a new one.

Back