low original gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garvinator70

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
guess i used too much water used 8.5 lbs two row .5 lbs crystal malt 15L 4 gallons in first runnings was 1.063 ran another 4 gallons at 170 for 10 min and came out to 1.020
have not boiled it yet , any advice would be appreciated

1st running was 1.063, 2nd 1.020? That'll be a pre-boil of ~1.040. What is the recipe target?

You can proceed as usual, ignoring volume and gravity. Beer is beer.

You can boil longer to concentrate gravity and reduce volume.

You can add malt extract or other sugar to increase gravity.

If you provide very good gravity readings and volumetric data you'll get very good guidance.

1st running was 1.063, 2nd 1.020? That'll be a pre-boil of ~1.040. What is the recipe target?

You can proceed as usual, ignoring volume and gravity. Beer is beer.

You can boil longer to concentrate gravity and reduce volume.

You can add malt extract or other sugar to increase gravity.

If you provide very good gravity readings and volumetric data you'll get very good guidance.
recipe target 1.038 so I just need to continue with boil and I will be good sounds like thanks

Make sure to adjust your hop addition times so you don't get too much bitterness. In other words add the additional boil-off time before your original hop schedule.

What type of beer were you trying to make? It sounds like you salvaged your gravity points with the sugar add. For some beers this may dry it out more than expected.

I'd say congrats on the save and enjoy your beer!

What type of beer were you trying to make? It sounds like you salvaged your gravity points with the sugar add. For some beers this may dry it out more than expected.

I'd say congrats on the save and enjoy your beer!
i was making a smash pale ale kinda added a half pound of carmel/ crystal with 2 row and i forgot to dough in all the grain first time using barley crusher and it throwed me off , i tasted gravity sample and it is dry but i beleve once i keg it it will be drinkable until my next brew haus pale ale cheers and thanks

Latest posts

Back