Noob Help Needed - Converting Dryer Outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chieftain

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got an older, 3 prong dryer outlet that I'd like to upgrade to a 4 prong, GFCI outlet which I can plug an Auber Cube 2 into. Since I'm not electrically inclined, I will have an electrician handle this. My question is: do I need to tell him anything other than "turn this into a 4 prong GFCI outlet?" Do I need to say anything about the ground, for example?

Thx

You’ll want to tell him what kind of amperage you’re looking to pull so that he can make sure that your breaker and wiring are rated correctly. I’d recommend upgrading to a GFCI BREAKER.

I've got an older, 3 prong dryer outlet that I'd like to upgrade to a 4 prong, GFCI outlet which I can plug an Auber Cube 2 into. Since I'm not electrically inclined, I will have an electrician handle this. My question is: do I need to tell him anything other than "turn this into a 4 prong GFCI outlet?" Do I need to say anything about the ground, for example? Thx

The question is "is there a fourth wire for the ground?". If you are not inclined to open the box and maybe take things apart only the electrician can answer this. If you turn off the circuit breaker there is really nothing dangerous about opening things up. Most likely if it is a three prong receptacle there will be no fourth grounding wire and what you are asking may require bringing new wire from the electric panel.

GFCI protection will work without a ground but if there are only three wires coming to the box you will not be able to run any 120 volt aspect of system without mixing the neutral and ground. I dont know anything about the Auber Cube 2.

The question is "is there a fourth wire for the ground?". If you are not inclined to open the box and maybe take things apart only the electrician can answer this. If you turn off the circuit breaker there is really nothing dangerous about opening things up. Most likely if it is a three prong receptacle there will be no fourth grounding wire and what you are asking may require bringing new wire from the electric panel.

GFCI protection will work without a ground but if there are only three wires coming to the box you will not be able to run any 120 volt aspect of system without mixing the neutral and ground. I dont know anything about the Auber Cube 2.

Thanks, the lack of ground was my concern based on previous reading about running a pump through the controller. Believe I need to have it to avoid tripping the GFCI, if I understood correctly.

You’ll want to tell him what kind of amperage you’re looking to pull so that he can make sure that your breaker and wiring are rated correctly. I’d recommend upgrading to a GFCI BREAKER.

From the manufacturer - "Auber CUBE is rated as 30A, 240V". That should work with a common dryer circuit

It'd be unlikely to find an unused fourth conductor in a 3-wire dryer (or electric range) home run as at that gauge copper actually costs money :)

Cheers!

When upgrading old-work, the ground wire does not have to be run with the other conductors. If you just have 3 wires, you can just run a separate groundING wire *if* the old groundED wire (neutral) is insulated. Use #6 solid copper wire if it's generally protected, or #4 if possibly exposed to damage. You don't need a wire that big, but it's probably cheaper than protecting a #8 or #10 wire with conduit or armor.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician. Also they may have changed the electrical code since last time I looked at it a few years ago.

Responding only because I have the Auber Cube and I upgraded my old garage panel to work with a 4 wire setup.

Basically, all I did was string a home-run of a correct gauge 4 conductor “loom” from my new outlet back to my panel, then all there was too it was de-energizing the circuit, snapping in the new 30A GFCI breaker, and screwing the wires into the correct places. Easy-peasy, and it works like a charm.

More specifically to your question, as long as everything along the path is rated to pass at least 30A, and it’s all hooked up to the correct places, you’re good to go.

Obviously, having a real electrician do the work is the safest and sanest way to to this. Don’t mess with high voltage, high amperage electricity!

Responding only because I have the Auber Cube and I upgraded my old garage panel to work with a 4 wire setup.

Basically, all I did was string a home-run of a correct gauge 4 conductor “loom” from my new outlet back to my panel, then all there was too it was de-energizing the circuit, snapping in the new 30A GFCI breaker, and screwing the wires into the correct places. Easy-peasy, and it works like a charm.

More specifically to your question, as long as everything along the path is rated to pass at least 30A, and it’s all hooked up to the correct places, you’re good to go.

Obviously, having a real electrician do the work is the safest and sanest way to to this. Don’t mess with high voltage, high amperage electricity!
Cool, thanks.

You may want to consider installing the new line on your own.

I was in your shoes maybe 2 months ago, looking to switch and move a 3 prong plug to a 4 prong plug. Electricians quoted me anywhere from $300 to $900 for the job. A couple of YouTube videos later and a quick run to Home Depot and I had a new outlet installed by myself for under $150 (including the cost of a new GFCI breaker).

I’m not an electrician, and obviously don’t do anything you aren’t comfortable doing.

So, just to close the loop on this saga...I had the electrician install a new outlet off my dryer outlet for the Auber...but he read the description of the Auber and installed an L14-30 receptacle because he thought that was what was needed. Seems that is not the case. Think I can source a plug to fit this receptacle? Hoping Bobby can make that happen.

Latest posts

Back