Noob alert - hot wort splasher!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsb47

Reaction score
RE: DANGER DANGER - NOOB ALERT!

For my last two batches (Extract Pale Ale and IPA), I have been vigorously swirling (read splashing) wort when cooling it down from boiling, thinking it would 1) cool it 2) aerate it.

Reading Palmer again last night, I now realise this was a mistake. He says
You should not aerate when the wort is hot, or even warm. Aeration of hot wort will cause the oxygen to chemically bind to various wort compounds. Over time, these compounds will break down, freeing atomic oxygen back into the beer where it can oxidize the alcohols and hop compounds producing off-flavors and aromas like wet cardboard or sherry-like flavors. The generally accepted temperature cutoff for preventing hot wort oxidation is 80°F.

The wort was far above the 80F / 26.6C when I was splashing... :mad:
  1. Have I ruined those batches?
  2. Is there anything I can do to fix my screw up?
  3. Or will they just stale quickly, meaning I need to drink them quickly?

ferment your beer.... bottle, or keg it... then drink it.

If it doesn't taste great. Brew more beer. Ferment it, bottle or keg it, then drink it.

If that one doesn't taste great... brew more beer, etc... etc...

The important thing is that you're brewing beer, then drinking it. We've all made mistakes - or thought we've made mistakes. It's all home brew and regardless what some will tell you on HBT, fresh, home brewed beer, is always better than Budweiser.

Never done that but I' only have my third beer in fermenter ATM. I'm sure it's turn out fine though. Seems hard to screw up beer so bad it not drinkable. Good luck

Hot side aeration causing oxydation is up for debate as of late. If it exists there is nothing you can do to fix what you have done and finishing your beer sooner than later. I wouldn't stress a ton over it and see what you can learn.

There is also a school of thought that thinks hot side aeration is a bit of a boogie man on the home brew scale, that is to say it's not a concern. A tend to run my sparge off into a bucket then dump into my kettle. I've never had a problem with oxidation.

To cool it easier, fill your sink with cold water and ice. Put the wort kettle in there. Wait 10min, drain the hot water and keep the ice, put new cold water in. Wort will be under 70f easily in about 20min.

Thanks for all the replies! I will bottle these bad boys when they come up (this weekend for one batch, following for the other) and see how they turn out. Depending on how quickly they stale, I might have to have some friends over for a beer and start giving some of these away before they get too bad.

Back