Non-wheat recipe for Lallemand Munich Wheat Beer Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renstyle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I realize that sounds like a contradiction in obvious terms, but hear me out.

I'm not a fan of wheat beers in general, and I picked up this yeast with the idea of using it in a Märtzen, not realizing this is geared more toward Witbiers (and what Lallemand replaced this yeast with recently in their lineup). So the sachet has languished in the fridge for months, and I need to put it towards some good use.

Having said that, it's going to expire soon and I wanna try this in a Dunkel or a Märtzen maybe using room-temp+pressure fermentation to suppress the Wit-esque esters? It will be an interesting experiment.

Anybody else tried something similar?

IMO there is no way Lallemand Munich is going to produce a convincing pseudo-lager.

Limiting fermentation temperatures can reduce esters, but you'd still want to start with a very neutral strain, which Munich is not. BTW, "room-temp" fermentation would not be the way to go to limit esters. Cold fermentation would be.

And, I don't think there's a fermentation strategy that's going to suppress phenols (clove/spice).

I'm not going for a lager per-se, more that i was looking for a recipe, preferably dark, where I could utilize pressure fermentation as a tool to suppress at least some of the esters.

Maybe something english? We're fully into the "let's play with this" phase. Wanted to see if i could make something i will drink with this. I figured somebody had run into a similar situation...

I’m interested to see what advice you get because if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and looks like a duck, it’s probably a Hefeweizen. I’m not coming up with anything helpful here. Sorry

Its your beer, use whatever yeast you want.
Don't worry about the "expiration" date with properly stored dry yeast. Last year I made a batch of bitter with Muntons yeast dated Nov 2016 that turned out good.

The more I think on it, a porter-esque recipe may be the way I go.

Ferment this Munich wheat under pressure, then even the clove/spice flavor that will prolly come thru could compliment the malt...

I'm now genuinely curious how this would end up.

I'll make a point to read my labels more closely in the future. Still, we're going to make this one interesting!

Latest posts

Back