Non-wheat recipe for Lallemand Munich Wheat Beer Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

renstyle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I realize that sounds like a contradiction in obvious terms, but hear me out.

I'm not a fan of wheat beers in general, and I picked up this yeast with the idea of using it in a Märtzen, not realizing this is geared more toward Witbiers (and what Lallemand replaced this yeast with recently in their lineup). So the sachet has languished in the fridge for months, and I need to put it towards some good use.

Having said that, it's going to expire soon and I wanna try this in a Dunkel or a Märtzen maybe using room-temp+pressure fermentation to suppress the Wit-esque esters? It will be an interesting experiment.

Anybody else tried something similar?

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
IMO there is no way Lallemand Munich is going to produce a convincing pseudo-lager.

Limiting fermentation temperatures can reduce esters, but you'd still want to start with a very neutral strain, which Munich is not. BTW, "room-temp" fermentation would not be the way to go to limit esters. Cold fermentation would be.

And, I don't think there's a fermentation strategy that's going to suppress phenols (clove/spice).

OP
OP
renstyle

renstyle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not going for a lager per-se, more that i was looking for a recipe, preferably dark, where I could utilize pressure fermentation as a tool to suppress at least some of the esters.

Maybe something english? We're fully into the "let's play with this" phase. Wanted to see if i could make something i will drink with this. I figured somebody had run into a similar situation...

Kickass

Reaction score
I’m interested to see what advice you get because if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and looks like a duck, it’s probably a Hefeweizen. I’m not coming up with anything helpful here. Sorry

Steveruch

Reaction score
Its your beer, use whatever yeast you want.
Don't worry about the "expiration" date with properly stored dry yeast. Last year I made a batch of bitter with Muntons yeast dated Nov 2016 that turned out good.

OP
OP
renstyle

renstyle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The more I think on it, a porter-esque recipe may be the way I go.

Ferment this Munich wheat under pressure, then even the clove/spice flavor that will prolly come thru could compliment the malt...

I'm now genuinely curious how this would end up.

I'll make a point to read my labels more closely in the future. Still, we're going to make this one interesting!