Non brewing use for star san?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeM

Reaction score
Anyone know if you can use star san to sanitize the inside of a camel back? Also can PBW be used to remove the organic garbage that can build up?
Thanks,
Mike

Why not.

I use it all the time on my counters when cooking. I'vd used it on water jugs, etc... It works great for any sanitizing application.

my only thought: what's the inside material made of in a camel pack? star san is pretty forgiving though.

I use it to sanitize all sorts of stuff and camping equipment is high on the list. I spray my big stainless sink with it before use it to prep food. Keep some in 5 gallon water bottle and make with Reverse Osmosis water and it lasts for almost a year.

my only concern would be the fact that StarSan is acidic. that's why it is so good at sanitizing. it wont burn holes in things but over time it may cause damage.

as for the PBW removing organic garbage. what exactly are we talking about? sweat? dead skin? as far as i know PBW is more for dissolving normally liquidy stuff that has dried.

my only concern would be the fact that StarSan is acidic. that's why it is so good at sanitizing. it wont burn holes in things but over time it may cause damage.

as for the PBW removing organic garbage. what exactly are we talking about? sweat? dead skin? as far as i know PBW is more for dissolving normally liquidy stuff that has dried.

Good to know.

***makes note to clean sleeping bags with PBW***

I use full strength or slightly diluted Star San to remove calcium, lime and mineral build up that accumulates on my pets water bowls. Similarly, it will dissolve that kind of crud from most anything such as shower heads and faucets. There are commercial products designed specifically for this purpose, but if you need some and don't have it on hand, Star San is an excellent substitute. Tried it as a mouthwash once. Won't do that again, ever!

Star San - Works (but not great) killing the mildew the accumulates around the shower grout. I would imagine that if you diluted it 5X stronger it would work close to as good at Tilex.

I think its main use is sanitizing dairy equipment.

What dilution do you guys use to take painted labels of bottles? I mixed it double strength and after a week it only softened the paint.

Starsan has replaced bleach as my general kitchen sanitizer. I use it on counters, my non porous meat cutting board (after it has been cleaned), and anything else that comes in contact with raw meat. I love it since it has no smell and is no rinse at the proper dilution. Bleach "kitchen sanitizers" stink like hell.

I think it would work great on camelbacks.

I'd use it in my camelback. Haven't yet, but I think it would be great at it. Much better-tasting than a bleach sanitizer. And it's no rinse so you can just prop the thing open a bit and let it air dry.

If it works for a camelback, would it also work for a camel toe?

Works great to kill the stench from the garbage disposal too.

I just put a small amount of automatic dishwasher detergent in the garbage disposal to kill any odor, although that is only rarely required with mine. I put the powder in with a small amount of hot water and spin it very briefly to mix without further rinsing until the next use.

Back