Non-alcoholic beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scout

Reaction score
Yeah I know, why would you brew non-alcoholic?

I read a thread where the alcohol was basically boiled out, which left it at maybe 1.5% abv. I'm wondering though, if, rather than removing the alcohol, you simply did not pitch the yeast? Do the yeast do something other than ferment and make alcohol? Kinda like, would it taste the same?

Maybe I could take it to work for lunch and not get tipsy.

Have you ever tasted wort before fermentation? That's what it would taste like.

The yeast also create esters and phenols which give beer beery flavor, the conversion of sugar to alcohol also lightens the body and gets rid of most of the sweetness. If you carbonate wort you're basically making syrupy soda.

If you look at non-alcoholic commercial beers they do have alcohol, just at really low levels.
Carbonated wort sounds awful. It would be like carbonated sugar water. More complex than table sugar, but still mostly a syrupy sugar water.

I sometimes taste the wort after taking a gravity sample, it is not something I would want to drink a glass of. And this is from a guy that would drink a 2 liter bottle of soda in one night.

Yeah I know, why would you brew non-alcoholic?

I read a thread where the alcohol was basically boiled out, which left it at maybe 1.5% abv. I'm wondering though, if, rather than removing the alcohol, you simply did not pitch the yeast? Do the yeast do something other than ferment and make alcohol? Kinda like, would it taste the same?

Maybe I could take it to work for lunch and not get tipsy.

You don't really want to "BOIL" it. you need to get it to about 175*-180* do it VERY slow and hold it there for a bit. The Alcohol is going to be the first thing that starts to evaporate and by the time you get to about 180* you will have most of the alcohol out of the beer. You never want it to boil. I cooled slowly till I hit about 120* or so and then crash cool and keg. I have never tried to bottle but I assume you could add yeast and sugar and bottle all the same.

Mine turned out OK"ish". I only did a gallon years ago. I do plan on revisiting it again soon though.

Cheers
Jay

The fermentation process is absolutely essential to beer. If it isnt fermented, it wont taste like beer. Just sugary grain soup. Even if you had a kegging system to force carbonate it, you will not like it. The fermentation by the yeast creates a lot of flavors that make beer what it is. Any NA beer, still goes through fermentaion

Another thing you need to consider is the amount of hops you use. Any flavor / aroma hops put into the original boil with 30 minutes or less are worthless. After the alcohol evaporation, you are left with just the bittering hops flavor. So any flavoring from aroma hops you may have used would be nonexistent. I've also had luck with cutting the bittering hops in half and turning out a decent product.

Anybody tried the HB recipe yet?
Or had one from Brewdog?

I have a good friend who can't drink regular beer anymore due to medical issues, and I'd really like to brew something he can drink.

Latest posts

Back