Nomenclature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan

Reaction score
I have been looking on the internet for some time with no luck so thought I would ask those that know more than I.

I was wondering, since fermenters tend to have a term for every flavour addition, what are the different types of cider? I'm not referring to juice, concentrate, apple, etc. but the categorical reference. For example with mead you have sack (sweet, full body), melomel (fruit), cyser (cider mead), pymen (grape mead), hippocras (spice mead), metheglin (herbed mead), braggot (malted mead), show (no additional flavours), hydromel (dry, low body).

Is there anything like this in the cider world?

I know apple wine (above 12%ABV), cider, cyser (cider mead), scrumpy (au natural)... is there anything for herbed or fruit ciders? :confused:

And from what I've read so far Cider = apples and with the addition of fruit - apples + oranges, is a complete blasphemy of cider and should be called a wine. I think they are a little too heavy handed when they say that because the apple juice makes up the predominant portion of the must with a little of something else to help flavour or balance it. They say that it is in order to preserve the integrity of the "Cider Industry", I say it's just a bunch of old farts refusing to accept shifting concepts to an age old craft.

I also tend to agree that a drink made of lets say 80 - 90% apple, and some blackberries is a cider or a wine. I would tend to separate it by the brix: less than 20 Brix is a cider, 20 or more is a wine, although seeing as that is the ol' terms I guess there isn't such a thing - also some ciders are above 12%ABV...

Also technically them ol' farts, as Dormio put it, are much more stickler about cider and perry to maintain the integrity. A cider is made 100% from 1 or more types of true cider apples, and a perry is made from 100% perry pears (both of these are limited species and tend to taste awful when not fermented.) Anything else is wine... ludicrous.

:off: Also "Hi Jonathan". Your cherry plum wine isn't in primary yet, as I haven't done anything to it :drunk:

Lol very True I was trying to get my signature fixed last night and never got that far, I will correct that tho :)

**Update**

Updated and correct :D lmao

apfelwein was the other cider I was trying to think of, does it play into the mix at all or is it just another form of wine, using a wild fermentation I believe?

Back