No waste wine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonBackus

Reaction score
I work at a deli slanging sandwiches and when we make fruit salads or yogurt parfaits we often have left bits of fruit. Recently I've decided to start saving the scraps that, while not the right size/shape to sell, would be fine for making wine. So I decided to freeze the fruit until I had enough to make a couple gallons. So far I have strawberries, mangoe, bananas, and cantalope on ice.

I also have been known to take the recently expired lemonaid concentrate and turn it into skeeter pee (also known as lemon wine. ;-) )

Is there anyone else out there who has come up with clever ways to make free no waste wine? If so share how!

That's a brilliant ideas fair play let us know how good it tastes once you've made a batch

My wife is a cook at a meditation center where I work and when she made fruit salad the scraps/leftovers went to the chickens. One day last summer I was helping clean up after lunch and said what am I doing, this will make wine!
We saved a mixture of fruit, apples, pears, mango, peach, oranges, nectarines, kiwi, and many others and made wine out of it. I called it fruit salad and took it on a camping trip this past weekend. There was about 60 friends there and they ALL loved it.
The sad part is that it can never be duplicated but everyone is looking forward to how the next batch will turn out.

Yeah its kind of the mulligan stew of wines. No two batches will be the same. I'm still planning on weighing the fruits used to figure out how different ratios of fruit affect the flavor.

Poor chickens, I be that was the highlight of their day! You guys better give some to your bosses, if any fruit is missing guess who is going to be on the short list of suspects! :) WVMJ

I've done this before with fruits in freezer and fridge. Last batch had strawberry/raspberry/blackberry/rhubarb/apricot/apple. Came out good

Back