No Trub. Puzzled. Anyone else ever witnessed this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apt23Brewery

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I have a bit of a :confused: on my hands. I brewed a peanut butter cup porter this weekend. Typical porter recipe only I added 4 oz of cocoa powder, (unsweetend), and 3 jars of PB2 to the mash. I added 3/4 oz of cascade for bitterness and 3/4 oz of UKgoldings for aroma. When I went to syphon to my carboy, there was NO TRUB?!?!?! I got every drop out of the pot, and not one bit of trub was left behind. The hops were in the boil for 55 minutes, and 15 minutes. Has anyone ever encountered this, or have any theories on what happened? Thank you for your help!

Did you have a hot break when it came to boil? Was it a rolling boil? I've had more and less grub but never no trub (and that recipe sounds like one that could leave extra rather than less).

Odd.. Did you get it cooled pretty quickly? Any cold break material? Did you take a sample for a gravity reading while transferring to your fermentor? and if so, did you see any suspended materials in there? sounds like a pretty chewy thick beer (sounds good actually) maybe it will just take awhile for the trub to drop outta there.

Did you have a hot break when it came to boil? Was it a rolling boil? I've had more and less grub but never no trub (and that recipe sounds like one that could leave extra rather than less).

I never got a bubble producing boil after I started the 55 min boil. The surface was agitated, and I got the temp to 218, but couldn't add anymore heat due to it being on a stove. I wonder if the peanut butter affected the ability of the solution to boil at conventional temps.

Odd.. Did you get it cooled pretty quickly? Any cold break material? Did you take a sample for a gravity reading while transferring to your fermentor? and if so, did you see any suspended materials in there? sounds like a pretty chewy thick beer (sounds good actually) maybe it will just take awhile for the trub to drop outta there.

It took about 30 minutes to cool in a sink of ice. The flow of the siphon was pretty slow. It seemed to be a "Thick" brew. I've got it at 70 degrees right now and it is bubbling nicely. I'm expecting a heavy cake after this.

It took about 30 minutes to cool in a sink of ice. The flow of the siphon was pretty slow. It seemed to be a "Thick" brew. I've got it at 70 degrees right now and it is bubbling nicely. I'm expecting a heavy cake after this.

How long did you leave it in primary? The fact that it is bubbling nicely now make me suspicious that your yeast were slow to take off and you transferred it to secondary too soon and now your secondary has become the primary. Try leaving it in this fermenter for 2 weeks and see how it looks.

How long did you leave it in primary? The fact that it is bubbling nicely now make me suspicious that your yeast were slow to take off and you transferred it to secondary too soon and now your secondary has become the primary. Try leaving it in this fermenter for 2 weeks and see how it looks.

I brewed this on Saturday 2/16 around noon. By Sunday at 8 am I had a 2 inch krausen and 1+ bubbles a second.

Back