No starter activity with frozen yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiredofbuyingbeer

Reaction score
I made a large (~1.5 liter) starter with a 300 ml slurry of Imperial Organics A20 "Citrus," which I think is the same strain as WLP 644. The slurry had been in the freezer since early June. I harvested it according to Woodland Brewing's sticky at the top of this thread. (This was my first time harvesting yeast, so I'm not sure if I did it perfectly or not. I did use glycerine.) The starter still smells like wort, not beer. Should I take this as a sign that the slurry is dead, or should I give it more time? I'm brewing tomorrow.

If you just froze the yeast slurry, it would have been frozen and died. But if you froze it with agar on a slant, it should be ok. I don't think you could freeze an entire slurry and have it survive unless you were certain about the amount of glycerine and even though I'd wonder.

If you just froze the yeast slurry, it would have been frozen and died. But if you froze it with agar on a slant, it should be ok. I don't think you could freeze an entire slurry and have it survive unless you were certain about the amount of glycerine and even though I'd wonder.

I just followed the instructions in the sticky at the top of this forum about simple yeast storage. I added 10% glycerine to the slurry, mixed it up well, and then put it in the freezer. Maybe I misinterpreted the method. Is this not something I should do?

Well, I just threw in some dregs from the beer I had harvested the yeast from, so now the starter is going. Lesson learned, I guess.

Back