no signs up fermentation yet, large layer of fruit purree floating on top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokeacow

Reaction score
I added a bag of puree'd frozen raspberries to my primary and mixed it in with the wort and after everything was good to go sprinkled the yeast on top as per instruction. Now its 24 hours later and theres no signs of heavy fermentation bubbles yet. I'm worried that the yeast is just sitting on top of the floating fruit purree and is unable to ferment the beer. Should i gently mix the yeast sitting on top down into the liquid or just leave it as is?

Leave it. It can take up to three days to get going with visual fermentation. What kind of yeast, dry or liquid? It should be ok, but you could stir with a sanitized spoon if it would make you feel better. What are you making? Most fruit beers you add the purée after fermentation has completed in secondary.

Edit: just noticed you did specify dry. Rehydrating dry yeast is important to their health. Sprinkling on top can kill up to half the cells, making you under pitching. Not enough cells will extend the yeast's lag phase.

i kinda figured it might just take some more time to get the ball rolling. I've just never added purree before and theres literally like 3/4 of an inch thick of raspberry crap floating at the top, and the yeast sitting on top of it. Maybe if its not going by 48 hours i'll give it a stir.

I did some reading and heard that adding the puree during primary gives more of a subtle flavor to the beer than adding to secondary, and then there may be bonus alcohol if more of the raspberry sugar gets fermented

checked it this afternoon and nothing so i gave it a stir with the sanitized spoon and within a couple hours i saw some activity starting with little bubbles. Now this evening it looks like its taking off. Anybody reading this in the future, if your yeast is floating on top of your fruit puree, giver a lil stir!

Back