No signs of activity...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endlesssurf

Reaction score
Hey its my second batch of beer and its been in the bucket for like 2 days and i have not seen any signs of fermentation i have yeast nutrients and another package of yeast ready to put in but i am hesitant and wanted some input. also if i use the yeast nutrients how much should i use for a 5 gallon recipe?

What temp are you fermenting at?. Did you aerate before you pitched yeast?. OG.?

Is your fermenter lid airtight? What kind of airlock are you using? Is there any krausen?

Sometimes there are slight leaks around the fermenter lid that allow CO2 to escape, and you'll never get any bubbles in the airlock.

im pretty sure the bucket is air tight and the temp seems to be around the higher 70's im using the three pieced fermenter locks. maybe i did something wrong with the boil or maybe i added the yeast too soon?

Got a hydrometer? Give us the recipe, and we can estimate an OG (original gravity). Then you can take a sample and determine the current specific gravity. If the difference is significant, fermentation has occurred.

Quick test of your pail. Get an empty coffee mug or something comparable and place it on the lid of your pail. It will cause the lid to flex inward and increase the internal pressure. You should see the center piece of the airlock rise. Leave the mug there for a while. If the center piece goes back down, you have a leak.

endlesssurf said:
maybe i did something wrong with the boil or maybe i added the yeast too soon?

Pitching your yeast at too high a temperature isn't too cool... But probably not the problem. What temperature did you pitch at, and what kind of yeast?

this is the kit i bought: Liberty Cream Ale. Our ingredients for this recipe include: 6 lb. Gold liquid malt extract, 8 oz. Carapils specialty grains, 2 oz. of hops, yeast, priming sugar, and a grain bag. Liberty Cream Ale w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast.

the hydrometer reading i got was 1.014 if im reading it correctly.

...and just to be sure...your reading looked about like this, right?

(it'd be more accurate if the hydrometer weren't leaning on the sample tube, but the reading on this one is roughly 1.018)

L1010441.JPG

yea thats how it looked can anyone calculate the starting gravity for me im not sure how to do that and forgot to take one before i added the yeast

Back