No shoots on my Chinook rhizome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcslain

Reaction score
I planted all my rhizomes the other day except one. My poor Chinook rhizome had all it's shoots fall off in the ziploc bag it was stored in. So how do I know which side to plant up now? Thanks for any suggestions!

Mark

where the shoots came out of? Im pretty new to hops also and no clue about gardening in general yet. Feel free to just kick my ass or something if im wrong.

Just put it in the ground. If it's viable, they will miraculously find their way to the surface. It's funny how things just seem to want to live despite all of our neuroses about how fragile they are.

No worries.Take your best guess which end is up, or plant it horizontal - you got a 50/50 chance (heck'of a lot better than the lottery). Chinook is one of the most vigorus varieties, right behind Canadian Red vine. Most rhizomes have a second set of latent buds - they will take two or three weeks longer to emerge than the first set. Chinook is a big girl so give her room!

Don't fear. All the healthy sprouts on my rhizome died. Seems like I buried it too deep. I dug it up, and all the sprouts had fallen off. I just covered it with a touch of dirt and in a week it was sprouting tiny leaves.

Thanks for all the great advice. I buried my Chinook and dealt w my neuroses about growing a freaking vine. Hopefully it will work out, and I'll cherish the Chinook just a little more cause I'll know it had to struggle.

Same thing happened with one of mine. Went to plant and the bud that had been growing off it was laying in the bottom of the bag. It's been a week and a half and I haven't seen anything from it yet. Just keeping the dirt wet and hoping for the best alone with you. My other one I planted broke ground a few days ago, but it had about a 1/4" bud coming off one end when it was planted.

If it makes you feel better, my rhizome that was in the same shape as yours just pushed it's first shoot out of the soil yesterday. :mug:

Am i screwed here? I planted mine over three weeks in 4-5 inches of soil havent seen a peep yet.

Back