No Octoberfest for you, drink Pumpkin beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezy

Reaction score
So I'm at the favorite watering hole and I'm delighted to see Yuengling's Octoberfest on tap. The place has ~35 taps.

There must be 12 pumpkin beers.

It's not even officially fall yet.

Not even Sam Adams Octoberfest in the mix.

So I ask the matron, "how many pumpkin beers do you have on tap?"

She replies, "including the ones that already kicked?"

-------

Flashback to Tuesday, at the local microbrewery:

Me to the owner: "No octoberfest this year? No harvest IPA? Just the pumpkin ale with the pumpkin additive out of a mylar bag from a New Mexico plant?"

Owner: "I know. It sucks. But it's what sells."

-----

Flash back to Saturday to a brewery in the city:

Me: "Pumpkin ale, eh?"

Brewer: "Hey, this is the last of it already!"

I hate pumpkin beer almost as much as I hate Bud Light Lime.

Around here, people go mental over the pumpkin beer from Schlafly and O'fallon Brewery. I've tried both on multiple occasions, but it's just the worst.

It's [probably] not the beer, it's [probably] me.

Around here, people go mental over the pumpkin beer from Schlafly and O'fallon Brewery. I've tried both on multiple occasions, but it's just the worst.

Having never had Bud Light Lime, I'd prefer that to pumpkin beer.

Now, I'm normally the "to style" type and don't normally gravitate to the funky ingredients beers. But I'll try anything once. Except for pumpkin beer and blueberry beer. Even the best in the world would probably still be a drain pour on my end.

That said, the pumpkin abominations keep coming sooner and sooner, and the Oktoberfest doesn't seem to hit until Oktoberfest is almost over (ie, October).

Pumpkin beer to me is worse than hot BMC. I don't understand the craze behind it. Same as Weezy, went to the liquor store and they had 6 pumpkin beers and not a single Oktoberfest. Not a single one. What the hell?

Mark

I like some pumpkin beer, not all. I love me an Oktoberfest though. Costco by my house has had Sam Adams Oktoberfest for at least 2 weeks now. Saw it again at Vons along with 2 others. Guess it varies by the market...

I'm starting to hate this time of year.

pumpkin.jpg

I counted 10 different pumpkin beers at my grocery store last weekend. Only 1 oktoberfest. 1! Is it not September? What is this trend? :confused: It's not even good to drink with football. FOOTBALL.

Qhrumphf, blueberry beer is delicious. It is!

I can taste the LME in Yuengling... So I can only imagine the imitation pumpkin they are putting out... no thanks...

Having never had Bud Light Lime, I'd prefer that to pumpkin beer.

Now, I'm normally the "to style" type and don't normally gravitate to the funky ingredients beers. But I'll try anything once. Except for pumpkin beer and blueberry beer. Even the best in the world would probably still be a drain pour on my end.

That said, the pumpkin abominations keep coming sooner and sooner, and the Oktoberfest doesn't seem to hit until Oktoberfest is almost over (ie, October).

What's funny is that Octoberfest is actually in September so those Marzen beers should be available now. Pumpkins are just being harvested so pumpkin beer shouldnt be ready by mid/late October.

What's funny is that Octoberfest is actually in September so those Marzen beers should be available now. Pumpkins are just being harvested so pumpkin beer shouldnt be ready by mid/late October.

EXACTLY my feelings. But if you ask the brewers they'll tell you they have no choice. It's a race for taps.

I saw all the posts about making pumpkin beer here on HBT. Last Fall when some showed up on the store shelves, I bought a six pack.

My wife promised to drink the other five and a half. I dumped the half. The five are still down there. Everything about it reminded me of the most horrible store bought pumpkin pie. Guaranteed indigestion.

Every mention of it now triggers fear.

EXACTLY my feelings. But if you ask the brewers they'll tell you they have no choice. It's a race for taps.

...ah, I see the answer to the trend question. I guess leave it to the homebrewers to put those fields of real pumpkin to use?

I agree with you both - beers have their seasons for a reason - harvest times.

Well, to someone's credit, we harvested our pie pumpkins this year in July... But we have a long growing season...

Made my Pumpkin Ale this weekend with real pumpkin.
My spice blend I made smelled great and will beat any store bought blend. Then blended spices make the flavor.
All whole spices fresh ground.
2 grams of Allspice
6 grams Saigon Cinnamon
4 grams Mexican Cinnamon
3 pods Cardamon
Large pinch of Mace
1 tsp fresh ground Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Whole Clove
1 tsp Cassia Buds
1/2 tsp Ginger

My son and I discussed this. I asked him if he likes pumpkin. We agree. I brewed a 'fest-like bier.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Fyi, there's an Oktoberfest in Sierra Nevada's fall sampler. Haven't tried that one yet, but the Vienna lager in the pack is fantastic.

Seems like I am in the minority here but I enjoy a good pumpkin beer. Currently I have my first ever pumpkin stout getting ready to be bottled. Octoberfest is good and I agree it feels like the seasons should be reversed, but I don't understand the hate towards pumpkin.

I did a side by side with pumking 13 and 14 - and I put back a 13 and a 14 for a 3 year flight next year.

I also have drank most of a case of SA Octoberfest. Also had a few Widmer Okto's - which is good, little smokey note in there.

Sam's here has Xmas decorations for sale already - you're worried about beers coming out early...

Made my Pumpkin Ale this weekend with real pumpkin.
My spice blend I made smelled great and will beat any store bought blend. Then blended spices make the flavor.
All whole spices fresh ground.
2 grams of Allspice
6 grams Saigon Cinnamon
4 grams Mexican Cinnamon
3 pods Cardamon
Large pinch of Mace
1 tsp fresh ground Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Whole Clove
1 tsp Cassia Buds
1/2 tsp Ginger

I'm curious as to why this particular set of spices has become synonymous with the flavor of pumpkin. If you've ever tasted raw pumpkin it has virtually no taste. Couldn't these spices be used to flavor potatoes or something equally as bland?

Raw, not much flavor. I think after roasting it the flavors are good though, albeit subtle. I like the pumpkin craze though, beer coffee etc. However, I do not like how it's coming earlier every year for profit purposes.

I feel bad for some of the bars/stores people have access too. I go to like 5-6 stores total and all are pretty balanced. Maybe 4-5 pumpkin and the same number of Oktoberfest (SN, firestone, peak organic, etc).

Aging out most commercial pumpkins two years make them really drinkable and pretty good (at least if the malt bill is decent to begin with.) Most are so overspiced its crazy. Two roads Roadsmary is outstanding, aged in rum barrels. Very well done and balanced. Most I can't stand.

I'm curious as to why this particular set of spices has become synonymous with the flavor of pumpkin. If you've ever tasted raw pumpkin it has virtually no taste. Couldn't these spices be used to flavor potatoes or something equally as bland?

I use this same spice blend on roasted, grill or smoked pork roast and baked sweet potatoes also. I have used it in coffee when brewing.
It is awesome.

I do know my wort smelled just like my pumpkin pies do. Maybe just the spice blend. I believe some use sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin in pumpkin beer.

I don't mind the Pumpkin craze. It's not for me, but some aren't all bad. I'm with the OP's root problem.

I love Oktoberfest Marzens. Pumpkins are fine, but they should not over rule this awesome time of year filled with fantastic Oktoberfests.

I'm personally a beloved fan of Magic Hat's Oktoberfest ("Hex"). Well I emailed them asking if it would be available this year because it's the first year back from living in Hawaii where Magic Hat isn't available. It's been 4 year since I had Hex, and I was super excited to stock up. Well surprise surprise no Oktoberfest this year because it's been replaced by PUMPKIN. :smack:

"Pumpkin Beer" my gourd! I'd dare anyone to take a bite out of a pumpkin and say, "I've waited all year for THIS!"

Ergo, why would anyone like the taste of so-called pumpkin-flavored beer? Oh, wait a minute... you say your "pumpkin" beer has a hint of allspice and a little nutmeg and sugar and vanilla and doesn't actually taste like the disgusting raw squash that it is? What's that? It has a taste similar to pumpkin pie? Ohhh...now I understand:

Pumpkin Pie Beer

And here's another thing:

An "Oktoberfest" beer is not a particular style that gets you all warm and fuzzy for Sunday afternoon football or a cool fall evening by the fire. An old-country "Oktoberfest" is a beer that, prior to refrigeration, was brewed in the late winter/early spring, just prior to the onset of the warm summer months when ferm temps got too high to brew. The last run of beer was kept in cool cellars over the summer and in the fall when brewing could start up again as the weather turned cooler, the stored beer could be consumed. The lore and magic of the celebration of the fall harvest, etc. notwithstanding, the Germans needed no excuse to consume beer; this late-winter storage beer was what was available in "Oktober" for consumption as the production of new beer started up again.

I like pumpkin beer. I don't like it enough to brew a 5 gallon batch but ill pick up a 6 pack at the store of it. everyone has different tastes, no need to hate.

Market Saturation is coming.... People will realize most just aren't very good after trying many of them. That's what happened to me.

I live in FL where it's still 95 degrees and the pumpkin beers were out in July. Gross.

Disclaimer - I love pumpkin beers. Current infatuation is resting hard on Southern Tier's Warlock.

Finding an Oktoberfest around here isn't hard at all - you can get them as early as August, and they usually roll into Thanksgiving. Some are available all year. Finding a pumpkin beer that's not in a bomber or priced into next month is like looking for hen's teeth.

I'll take that pumpkin challenge - I've got 4 different varietys growing in the garden. Love me some pumpkin. Not a huge fan of overly "spiced" pumpkin...

:rockin:

my local place never has pumpkin beer, granted, my local place is the keezer in my basement.. ooh look a marzen! :mug:

I'm another guy who loves pumpkin pie and thus I like a well-done pumpkin beer. That said, not all of the pumpkin beers out are well-made. Some don't taste anything like pumpkins and some taste like cheap canned pumpkin or squash. Personally I think the ones that taste like a balance in between a really well made pumpkin pie and really well made ale (whether that's a wheat, a stout, or whatever) are the ones that taste the best.

I don't understand that hate for pumpkin beers that some people have, but I do understand the hate for Oktoberfest beers not coming out and the hate for pumpkin beers coming out before the pumpkins are even harvested (meaning that the beers are using canned pumpkins).

Latest posts

Back