Time to start making Pumpkin/Octoberfest Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjd09

Reaction score
Is anyone planning to make a new pumpkin beer or do any Octoberfest lagering? Already August but great time for some seasonal beer to be ready in October.

Personally I'm looking to do a Pumpkin Ale (think Harpoon UFO Pumpkin), light in color, light on cinnamon and not too much of Cyrstel 80 or Caramal Malt.

Or more of a Pumpkin Amber Ale, haven't decided yet.

Most folks that wanted to brew a real Oktoberfest Marzen started the beer in March. If traditional was what you were looking for.

Myself, I'll probably try to do a few lagers this winter since it should be easier to control lagering temps in my garage brewery when it's colder in there.

I just brewed my pumpkin pie ale yesterday. It is along the lines of Dogfish Head Punkin, with a bit of honey malt. I used canned pumpkin, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice for my seasonings.

I almost want to drink the sanitizer my blow off tube is in because the smell is soooo good.

Hey FourSeasonAngler, I am from Oswego IL and live right next to ya in Yorkville. What is your name? I thought I knew most of the brewers out this way.

Really want to brew a pumpkin ale. Too many recipes with too many good and bad reviews. Can't pick one...

I would find a commercially available one you like, and then go off of clones for that. I personally love DFH Punkin and ST Pumpking, there are good recipes for both of those floating around here.

Last year I did the DFH one, and this year I modified it to get closer to what I would like for my own version. Next year, I plan on doing the Pumpking clone on here, and then the year after tweaking it a bit. I may save some of each batch and try blending them as well.

I have had dozens of pumpkin beers and some are good, and some are not even drinkable. It is really what you like. Get out there and sample a ton of them, see what you like and what you don't. and then build from there.

Latest posts

Back