Commerical IPAs that you are sure use corn sugar...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
Ok, so I am leading an advanced tour tmrw with a local company that does brewery tours via bus every weekend. The standard tours are geared towards beer initiates but this will be a "401" tour. It was very explicated stated on the website that, "If you don't know what a mash tun is this is not the tour for you."

We will be doing all kinds of cool stuff (tasting beer directly from barrels, hydrometer experiments, etc.) At one point we will be focusing on sugar. We will do a blind taste test with a light american lager (laden with adjuancts) and a craft german lager with none. This will be to show that adding sugar to a beer lightens body and in an already thin and light style this is a very bad thing.

I then want to give them a very malty overly sweet IPA (there are waaay too many to count) and also give them a very light, dry IPA where the hops absolutely jump in order to show that sugar additions in this case can be good. There are many commerical IPAs that I strongly suspect use sugar (all the good ones :) but none, other than Pliny and Heady, that I can confirm do. I obviously don't have access to those.

Can anybody help me out?

Btw, I live in Tn and our distribution is quite limited. I've listed all the breweries that are available in Tn below.

Abita
Against the Grain
Anchor
Atwater
Back Forty
Bard's Tale
Blackstone
Blue Pants
Boston Beer Co. (Sam Adams)
Bottle Tree
Boulder
BridgePort
Brooklyn
Buffalo Bill's
Butternuts
Caldera [Limited]
Calfkiller [Draft only]
Catawba [Limited]
Chattanooga
Choc
Country Boy [Draft only]
Deschutes [Limited]
Dixie [Limited]
Dogfish Head
Duck-Rabbit
Erie
Evil Twin
Fat Bottom [Draft only]
Finch's
Flat 12
Flying Dog
Foothills
Fort Collins
Founders
French Broad
Ghost River
Good People
Goose Island
Green Flash
Green Man [Limited]
Harpoon
Highland
Hook & Ladder
Horny Goat
Jackalope
Jolly Pumpkin [Limited]
Kona
Lagunitas
Laughing Dog
Lazy Magnolia
Left Hand
Leinenkugel
Lexington (Alltech/Kentucky)
Little Kings (Christian Moerlein brand)
Lost Coast
Lucky Bucket
Magic Hat
Marble
Matt (Saranac)
Mayday [Draft only]
Mendocino
Moylan's [Limited]
Napa Smith
New Belgium
New Holland
North Coast
O'Fallon
Off Color
Olde Hickory [Limited]
Ommegang
Oskar Blues
Red Brick (formerly Atlanta Brewing)
Redhook
RJ Rockers
Rogue
Schlafly
Sea Dog
Shelton Brothers (importers)
Shipyard
Shmaltz (He'Brew)
Sierra Nevada
Smuttynose
Southern Prohibition
Southern Tier
Spoetzl (Shiner)
Sprecher
Starr Hill
Stevens Point
Stillwater
Stone
Straight to Ale
Sweetwater
Tailgate
Terminal [Draft only]
Terrapin
Thomas Creek
Tommyknocker
Turtle Anarchy [Draft only]
Victory
Widmer Bros.
Wiseacre
Yazoo
Yuengling

Dude. You get better beer than me. I'm fairly certain Ranger uses some sugar, so New Belgium should have you covered there. If you can get Fresh Squeezed I'm almost certain it doesn't.

Take me with you.

Dude. You get better beer than me. I'm fairly certain Ranger uses some sugar, so New Belgium should have you covered there. If you can get Fresh Squeezed I'm almost certain it doesn't.

Take me with you.

Hey! That's exactly what I needed. I looked up clone recipes for ranger and they all seemed to call for 2# of corn or table sugar! I do remember that beer being one light SOB and its readily available here. The only downside is that its not on my short list of favorite IPAs, but it is a fine beer.

Thanks!

I always add one pound of corn sugar per 5 gallons for my double IPAs.

I know Russian River and The Alchemist add corn sugar to all of their double IPAs. I'm pretty sure Ballast Point Sculpin adds something on a scale of like half a pound of corn sugar per 5 gallons, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Back