No krausen 24 hours after brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjeisenb

Reaction score
So I just brewed a smoked peat, wheat ale and pitched two packets of Wyeast 1010 American Ale yeast. I pitched between 69 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit, but I forgot to smack the packs. Currently, there seems to be little fermentation, but I don't think it has to do with the yeast activation due to the fact that I pitched at a warmer temperature. Furthermore, I also don't attribute it to a sanitation issue because I had sanitized the carboy immediate beforehand. Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• 66839181573__5D734DF7-46EA-402E-A692-98A30705391C.fullsizerender.jpg
    66839181573__5D734DF7-46EA-402E-A692-98A30705391C.fullsizerender.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 66839182302__F092E7BB-1877-4C36-97F1-6F029CBCB823.fullsizerender.jpg
    66839182302__F092E7BB-1877-4C36-97F1-6F029CBCB823.fullsizerender.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 24
While I haven’t used that yeast before, I’d give it another 24-36 hours before I’d start to panic. It’s never ideal to have a long lag time, but I’ve had fermentations take 48-60 hours on a few occasions.

There’s quit a lot of what appears to be trub in that one image. Whats that about? what’s the OG? As stated above give it more time.

Last edited:
Even the yeast don't want peat.

Kidding.

It's most likely fine. The yeast might be a little sluggish from not giving them an appetizer. Maybe give the carboy a few gentle swirls to rouse them but after twenty-four hours I wouldn't worry.

First, I agree that with time, it will likely take off as usual.

However, not smacking the pack is an interesting wrinkle. Smacking the pack just releases the yeast into a small amount of wort/nutrient to begin multiplying.

if you truly failed to push out the enclosed yeast, then just take the packages, find the unreleased yeast (sanitize outside) and squeeze it into the wort/fermenter.

If live yeast is in fermenter, it will eventually take off as long as its anywhere near normal temperatures.

I've always assumed its the other way around. The package that gets exploded is the nutrient and the yeast is already loose inside the packet?
Yup, from their site: “For 35 years, the Wyeast Activator™ is the only product that “proofs” the yeast and shortens lag time when it hits your wort. Activator™ packages include an internal packet which, when smacked, releases its contents into the yeast slurry and revitalizes the cells. The available sugars and nutrients initiate the culture’s metabolism which in turn generates CO₂ and causes swelling of the package, serving as a viability and vitality test as well. Although beneficial, cultures do not need to be activated prior to inoculation.”

Looking at all that sediment I wonder if the yeast have been buried. Pitching straight from a pack, without activating, means the yeast sink straight to the bottom. Then they got buried under the trub raining down. That's going to slow things down. I'd give it a good swirl, unless it's already kicked off.

Smoked Peat wheat ale? If I were a yeast, not sure I’d be munching down on that either. Smoked Peat? Yuck…

Just kidding.. Seriously though, it’s just adding to the lag time. Takes a while to build up, especially if denied their nutrients. Fear not!!

Last edited:
So you brewed Sunday. It is now Wednesday. Hopefully by now active fermentation is underway. If not, you need to introduce new yeast ASAP. Please report back, let us know the status.

Back