No Hot Break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unkle-Sam

Reaction score
Hey guys-

I had a lot of brewing firsts today, so it's been pretty exciting 'round these parts...first starter, first liquid yeast, first mini-mash, first full boil. It was, as I suspected all along fairly easy and a lot of fun to take all the extra steps. Just, obviously, a lot more of a time commitment, but one that I'm happy to make.

But I digress. The end product, from what I can tell, turned out extremely well. The finished wort was delicious, the color was beautiful, nailed the OG from the recipe, fermenter is bubbling furiously after just a couple of hours, and my kitchen smells lovely still.

Apart from taking too long to toss the aroma hops in (recipe called for half an ounce and I'd forgotten to split the one ounce pack ahead of time), the only real issue I encountered was that I never witnessed anything like what I expect a hot break to look like.

My last batch nearly exploded when I added the bittering hops, with crud from the 1.5 gallon boil nearly reaching the top of my 30-qt kettle, but this one never had more than a little foam on just part of the surface. It was a bit breezy, so it took a little while to get the boil rolling consistently and there were a not excessive amount of little protein flecks floating around in it.

So after all that I guess what I have boils down to a two part question:

1) After all the research I've done, coupled with my admittedly small personal experience, I understand Hot Break to consist of both a substantial amount of those protein globs I was seeing as well as a well defined, massive, foamy, liable to boil over reaction. Is this a correct deduction or did I get the wrong end of a stick somewhere?

2) Assuming my initial assumption is correct (that's a lot of assuming going on), can anyone provide insight on how that would affect the finished product, i.e. more/less body, subtle flavour differences, and perhaps tips to foster the reaction (more aggressive boil, more/less stirring, partial mashing pointers, etc) in my next batch?

As aforesaid, I'm pretty stoked with how things are looking so far, so this isn't a panicked noob question or anything (just a normal noob question, haha) but in the interest of continually improving my process and expanding my brewing knowledge I'd love to hear anyone's two cents on the issue.

Your first deduction is correct. Hot break will consist of protien flecks being circulated in the boil. Hot break is constantly being formed as the boil progresses. The more voilent the boil, the bigger the flecks will appear. It would appear that the little breeze you had caused the boil to not be as quick or voilent as you would like to have it, which then most likely caused a lower foam surface.

And as for #2 well, the truth is that a better hot break will have some affect on the finished beer, weather it be a clearer final beer or a slightly cleaner tasting beer. But YMMV.
I always get a nice quick rolling boil with my turkey frier, so I always get a nice hot break.

Hey all...

So, I'm boiling batch #3 here, and the Palmer book led me to believe that I'd be seeing little strands of protein that look like "egg drop soup" (his words) floating around indicating a successful hot-break.

Never seen anything like that -- no noticeable "solids" of any sort in the wort -- in any of my 3 batches.

I'm always careful to keep a solid rolling boil, and I can control the amount of foaming by adjusting the crack in the lid (glass, which is nice for visibility).

If it matters, batches #0 & 1 were all-extract; the one that's going as I type this is steeped grains + extract.

I'm just wondering if I'm doing something incorrectly to not get a "proper" hot break, or if not all recipes break as visibly as others, or what.

In the end, the beer has been quite drinkable, so I'm not really worried about that so much, but I'd like to try to understand what's happening (or not happening) and why.

Thanks!

I never had hot break show up until my first all grain batch. I thought something terrible had happened, had to have a beer and calm down.

You're ok. The hot break happened at the malt extract plant. Your steeping grains just don't produce the same proteins as a full-bore mash, or not enough to show up.

BTW, did you notice we just resurrected an 8 year old thread? I love this place!

How the hot break looks and how big the strands of 'egg drop (protein)' is entirely pH dependent. I notice the biggest strands of protein when the pH is about 5.1, but that's not (normally) going to give a better beer - in fact I normally target a preboil pH around 5.3, which gives much smaller flocs.

Hey all...

So, I'm boiling batch #3 here, and the Palmer book led me to believe that I'd be seeing little strands of protein that look like "egg drop soup" (his words) floating around indicating a successful hot-break.

Never seen anything like that -- no noticeable "solids" of any sort in the wort -- in any of my 3 batches.

I'm always careful to keep a solid rolling boil, and I can control the amount of foaming by adjusting the crack in the lid (glass, which is nice for visibility).

If it matters, batches #0 & 1 were all-extract; the one that's going as I type this is steeped grains + extract.

I'm just wondering if I'm doing something incorrectly to not get a "proper" hot break, or if not all recipes break as visibly as others, or what.

In the end, the beer has been quite drinkable, so I'm not really worried about that so much, but I'd like to try to understand what's happening (or not happening) and why.

Thanks!

Are you using any kettle finings? You can certainly over fine the wort and end up with a lot of sediment that is just powdery

Are you using any kettle finings? You can certainly over fine the wort and end up with a lot of sediment that is just powdery

I am not. Just straight recipe, like printed in the book. Malt (extract, steeped or mashed, depending on the recipe), yeast & water.

I think I got more hot-break this last time, and I think it may have had to do with a more "rolling" boil, where I kept the foam going but not overflowing. On previous batches, I'd tried to minimize foam.

Current working hypothesis: the churning/foaming provides an agitation that helps the hot-break happen.

Latest posts

Back