No gushers and really good pours. But a busted bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you suspect in this situation ?

• Total voters

Alcoholica

Reaction score
Have you Ever made a great batch of ale with perfect carb , yet have a bottle to bust open at the base of the bottle ?
The Beer bottles were saved from a 12 pack of Sierra Hop Hunters . They Seem like good quality bottles to re use. And I don’t re use bottles often. Maybe Twice after emptying the original contents.

I’d hate to suspect that someone came in there in my personal work space and slammed one down on purpose ? Or snooping around which is not unusual?
I brought a couple in for a friend at work to try out. So he can see how good a home brew is compared to natural light etc . But he forgot them on Friday.
So I come in Monday morning and have this mess on my cart. Yet not the first time I’ve came in and seen things not in the order that I have left them in my area.
So it makes me wonder.

Heck they’ve been bottled a month now and have been great. Only have a 12 pack left ! Yet this mis hap.

I just Wonder how often anyone experiences this type of thing. Especially with no gushers and perfect head retention after all this time after bottling.
Because it’s a first for me .

I keg now, but when I bottled I never had that happen and I reused bottles many times over. I still bottle from the keg occasionally. I inspect each bottle for cracks or nicks first. I’ve never heard of there being a limit on reusing them.

Did you batch prime time or bottle prime? Could you have accidentally double primed one bottle? Other wise I’d suspect someon’s curiosity got the best of them.

Without more evidence, most likely a bad bottle. Could have been damaged or factory flawed. Single bottle could have been contaminated as well. Coupled with a warmer than refrigerator environment for a weekend, a defect is probable.

Well, of course I came home and put them all in the fridge. After getting them cold cracking a couple open. Start getting tied up in something and a minute or 2 later an inch of foam came up creeping out. I suppose for now on after 2 weeks I need to get in the fridge.
It was a big beer. Usually comes out to 11% and I’ve gotten where I don’t even check gravity I’ve made so many of the same batches.
And I have 4 styles in boxes all big beers. So I’m guessing not the strongest bottle and slightly over carbed. Bottle could’ve took a hit. The cleaning person better not come in my room. Oooh boy lol.

Heck the
I keg now, but when I bottled I never had that happen and I reused bottles many times over. I still bottle from the keg occasionally. I inspect each bottle for cracks or nicks first. I’ve never heard of there being a limit on reusing them.

Did you batch prime time or bottle prime? Could you have accidentally double primed one bottle? Other wise I’d suspect someon’s curiosity got the best of them.
batch prime. It wasn’t really over carbed. But on the high end. Beer was nice and tasty. Thanks for your input.
beer was good

Back