no grains just hops and DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsoxfan24

Reaction score
My local homebrew shop suggested DME and Hops for a wheat beer (Hef yeast) I've never brewed a beer without grains. What do you think I'll end up with? I wanted to go with a Dunkelweiss. My wife wanted something lighter. Guess who won. At least she split the bill with me.

Will I get a really light colored beer with a mild taste? I think the beer will be fine because it's for a family picnic and they're a bunch of miller and bud people.

Just wanted to hear if anyone has done this before and how the beer turned out.

you don't need grains. works really well without, actually. just keep the fermentation temperature low (< 68 F) and constant and you'll come out with a great beer.

Our "Dry Heat Wheat" is just that.

6 pounds of Muntons or Briess wheat DME, 1 Oz of Hallertauer hops, and Wyeast Weihenstephan yeast.

It is, by far, our biggest seller!

steve

I just brewed Cheese's hefe recipe and it looks great! 6lbs wheat DME, 1 oz hallertau, WLP 300. Specialty grain would take away from the specific yeast profiles in a hefe, methinks. Plus, I got to use the word methinks.

I was looking at the Paulaner recipe in Clone Brews. It called for it. I've done with and without and really can't find any real diferrence at the moment.

Then I got to thinking, well, 1 lb of DME in 1 gal of water is 1.040. Since I boil 1.5 gals of water the added grain would just help me try to get closer to a gravity about 1.040 for the boil as there will be evaporation. :D

Back