No foaming in fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheEagleRising

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I started my primary Sat afternoon. I did a recheck of my gravity on Mon or Tues I believe and had a nice foam head in bucket, temp was high 70s so I put in some water with a wet towel. I noticed this morning nothing was coming from the air lock. I checked temp and it was 68-72 on the strip. Cracked the lid and no foam, or what looked to even be Krausen. Is the batch still ok?
I would insert a pic but it won't let me.

Last edited:
It's possible the krausen has already fallen. If the temp got too high (and high 70s is likely too high, unless you're using saison or kveik yeast) the yeast can get very active very fast and tear through the wort. Probably not a big deal, but you might get some off-flavors depending on how hot it got.

I'd say 76-78. So do I continue to ferment, or go for prime and bottle?

Let the yeast finish. Let them clean up as much of the byproducts as they can. Let them clump together and settle out for a while. Beer doesn't get better by rushing it. I'd leave this beer in the fermenter for a minimum of 2 weeks before even taking the first hydrometer reading, then take a second hydrometer reading 3 or more days later. If the readings match, you can bottle. No match means your beer wasn't ready yet so give it another 3 or more days and take another hydrometer reading.

It's possible the krausen has already fallen. If the temp got too high (and high 70s is likely too high, unless you're using saison or kveik yeast) the yeast can get very active very fast and tear through the wort. Probably not a big deal, but you might get some off-flavors depending on how hot it got.
Let her ride...

I've had two batches this past month fermented at room temp fail to blow off anything, I could have gotten away with just an airlock. One batch is a 50% wheat Hefeweizen with 3638, the other a 1.060 stout with 1762. When the hefe failed to blow chunks I thought maybe some residual cleaning product was inhibiting foam formation; when the stout did the same thing I checked the temp and yup, 82f vs. room temp at 74f. Both were a swirling torrent of activity for 48 hours then tapered off to almost no bubbling. As @deadwolfbones said the yeast tore through the wort and promptly dropped the kraeusen. I'm anticipating some off flavors in the weissbier and some hot alcohol notes in the stout. YOLO.

I'm looking to buy a shallow tub and a desk fan this weekend, next batch will be a wet t-shirt contest.

Agree with everyone else. Unless you're making a super hop-forward beer where freshness is key, let it sit around a while so the yeast can clean up.

Thanks all for the help and advice. I'm sure like all new brewers I'm being over paranoid. Been wanting to do this for years and finally took the plunge. I'll post as I go, especially on 8 Sep, bottling day.

Latest posts

Back