No fermentation... initially

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birvine

Reaction score
For the new brewers out there... though I know it is an oft-asked question/topic, I thought I would share my experience from yesterday's brew. I brewed two batches of beer (slightly different ingredients in each) and to each batch I added some re-hydrated yeast from the SAME measuring cup. Within an hour one of the batches was bubbling merrily away; it is only this morning, almost a full 24 hours later, that I see the other batch just starting to bubble, and very slowly at that.

Though I KNOW that this can happen, this weekend I experienced a very marked difference in almost the same batch brewed at the exact same time. I almost second-guessed the situation, but held back, knowing full well that there are mysteries in the magical thing we call yeast!

Moral of the story... whether just starting out, intermediate or years under your belt. Remember, read your HBT "advisors" and believe... time will likely make things right!

B

Great post showing empirically how varied the fermentation experience can be. You should post it in Orfy's sticky https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

I was going to reply saying we should collect nothing but personal accounts where we were worried things were a little sketch but turned out fine in the end and put em in a sticky to calm noobfears....then I remembered we have!!!

I just looked back over that thread and it never ceases to amaze me how people can post the same tale of apprehension over and over and over...you gotta wonder if they read ANY of the previous 42 pages of posts!!! We have all been there but it was threads like this that made me calm myself and learn rather than panic and freak out when it was ignorance that fueled my anxiety.

:mug:

Back