No DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
I just ordered supplies for a coconut porter. I downloaded the recipe form the internet. And now several hrs later I am thinking ( we all know what trouble that can cause) That there was no malt extract or DME in the recipe.

The recipe is;
8.5 lbs Pale malt Maris Otter
1.5 Lbs Chocolate malt
1.5 lbs Carmel/crystal malt
2 oz Norther bewer hops
1 oz Goldings east kent hops
14 oz toasted coconut
4 pkgs Wyeast #1318 London Ale III yeast

But no DME is this a problem?

There is no DME because it is an all grain recipe.

You. can do itwith some thing as simple as a paint striner bag and do a BIAB version.

What do you have for a brew kettle? We can help you brew this.

That, my friend, is an all-grain recipe. If you don't have the equipment and aren't familiar with the all-grain process, then having no DME or LME is definitely an issue.

You could take out the Maris Otter (which is an English base malt) and substitute an appropriate amount of DME or LME for it. The rest of the recipe you could keep the same.

Thanks for the offer But I am living in California. I'm originally from Jersey though. Carteret born and raised. I have a Large pot I boil in nothing fancy over my turkey frying burner.

Mike

As has been said, the recipe in question is an all-grain recipe. All-grain does take a certain amount of extra time and work, but for extra equipment, all you really need is a large strainer bag, as Beergolf says. Still, it's a significant leap in the difficulty from extract and specialty grains to a full mash. You may be ready to do it - it really isn't all that hard, though it does end up taking all day for most people - but you'd have to decide for yourself if you want to make that jump.

You might want to look at this post of mine for an overview of the all-grain brewing process. After that, try reading How to Brew (preferably the print version, but the online book is still mostly valid) for the details of actually brewing from malt.

How large is the pot in question? While I am not familiar with Beer In A Bag myself, I would expect you would need at least a 32 quart boiler, preferably 40qt. or larger. The reason for the larger pot is because, after you mash the malt (that is, soak it in 148-158 deg. F water for 45-60 minutes), and sparge the grain bed (basically, rinse it with fresh water - with BIAB, as I understand it, you would simply lift the bag out of the wort and pour water through it), you'll end up with more wort than you want, at a lower gravity than you want, so you need to boil off some of the water. Fortunately, you already are using an exterior burner, which helps a lot; I know from experience that boil-offs on most stove tops are slow going.

If you don't feel like tackling all-grain, you still have some options, assuming the malt was pre-crushed (if it was from a kit, it probably was). You can do an extract and specialty malt version by substituting about 5.25 lbs of light DME for the Maris Otter base malt; put the specialty grains in a strainer bag, steep them in 155deg F water for 20 minutes before boiling, remove the grain bag, and then proceed as you would for an extract based recipe.

Alternately, you can do a partial mash, which would mean using part of the base malt (perhaps as much as half) in the steep, and steeping for 30 minutes instead of 20. You would need to substitute the rest of the base malt with extract, keeping the total ratio the same; so, if you use half of the base malt (4.25lbs.), you would use only 2.625 lbs. of extract; if you use 30% base malt (2.5lbs.), you would use 70% extract (3.675lbs); and so on (it doesn't have to be all that exact, but the more accurate you are the closer you'll be to the original recipe).

Latest posts

Back