No clue on Kegging...need resources

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Although I am brand new to home brew (1st batch bottled two days ago), I read how kegging is quicker. Assuming, I have temp control handled, what else do I need to know about kegging? I see a lot of CO2 canisters (does that mean it provides the carbonation instead of the priming sugar when bottling? Is there a "kegging for dummies"?

Yes, the CO2 both carbonates and pushes the beer out for serving. There are some posts in HBT that discuss kegging but I don't have any links for you.
The basics are:
Wash and sanitize the keg before filling it with beer. A gallon or so each of cleanser and sanitizer is plenty. Use the same solutions as you use for bottles.
Put the solutions (one at a time) into the keg and install the cap. Shake the keg ensure all internal surfaces are well coated. Let the keg sit a few minutes and then dispense the solutions through the serving line to ensure the dip tube and poppet valve get cleaned and sanitized.
Open the keg and drain any remaining sanitizer. Do not rinse the keg.
Rack the beer into the keg. Install the cap and attach the gas hose.
Purge oxygen from the keg by filling with CO2 to about 30 PSI and then purging it out the pressure relief valve several times.
Set the pressure to the PSI needed to get the carbonation level you want.
8 PSI to 12 PSI is a good place to start unless you want very low or very high carbonation.
Place the keg and gas in the fridge/kegerator/keezer and let it sit about 3 to 5 days to carbonate the beer.
You can speed carbonation by using 30 PSI and shaking the keg.
Don't leave the pressure at 30 PSI too long or the beer will get over-carbonated.

I pretty much learned everything from watching YouTube videos. How to take apart a keg, what problems with used kegs to look for, how to carbonate. Its not rocket science, everything is pretty easy to deal with once you have the basics.
You don't need a full blown kegerator, I use a picnic tap connected to a about 5'6" of hose coiled up on top of the keg, it works fine, except the picnic taps are flimsy and have to be replaced now and then. I don't have a manifold either, I'll just hook up the keg to the tank now and then to give it some more pressure. Not the best arrangement but it works for me. So keep it simple and get started.
I noticed Northern Brewer has 4 used kegs for $149, which is pretty cheap.

Thanks for the responses! After reading through the PDF linked above, I have another question on how to gauge the pressure:
If serving from a keg creates line restriction (2PSI/ft of 3/16") and the American Pale Ale recommends 2.2-2.8 CO2 volume, what would I set my regulator at if I had 3 foot of tubing?

The quick and easy way is to just get 10' of beer line and go from there. Even 5' of tubing is iffy and can produce foam. 3' is unheard of and will give tons of foam. The calculators I've ran suggest 9.5-10' of tubing for my setup.

When considering switching to kegging the equipment you will need is a dedicated refrigerator (Yes a picnic tap will work the same way a cooler keeps your food cold when camping, but no one lives their everyday lives out of a cooler. Check out craigslist. Someone is always selling an old frig), CO2 tank, CO2 regulator (I strongly recommend a dual head because you will want to use your CO2 tank to purge and fill kegs while at the same time pressurizing your keg-orator), shank, faucet with handle, and various connectors, clamps, lube, and hoses. Now realistically, I would plan a multi tap set up because after you've had one for a bit you'll want more and you'll probably want to be drinking one keg while carbing another so I would highly recommend a multi head secondary regulator as well. Also, if you care about maintaining the proper level of carbonation throughout the serving phase across varying styles of beer a secondary regulator is a must. More on that later.

Kegging involves performing two separate but related functions, carbonating and serving. Right now your carbonation is done by putting a specific amount of sugar in your bottles/bottling bucket, capping them and waiting x weeks. As for serving, just bust off that cap and you're good to go. With kegs the carbonation and serving functions get a bit more complicated.

Forced carbonation is simple in theory, apply x amount of psi and over ? days you get fizzy beer. In real world terms when wanting to hit a specific CO2 volume it's a bit more complicated. If landing on a specific amount CO2 is not really a concern then crank the pressure to 30+psi and shake for 10-15 minutes and skip to the next paragraph. But if you have questions like, how do I hit my target CO2 volume, and when do I know it's finished, read on. For solutions to these questions I looked at how the pros do it. When real money is on the line people are less apt to guess. The answer is using a carbonation stone (0.5 micron), a gauge that measures the pressure in the head space and a rotameter to measure actual gas flow into the keg. Here's the link that explains how to do this.

https://chme.nmsu.edu/files/2016/06/Brite-tank-carbonation.pdf

To serve the beer from your kegs the concept again is simple, pump CO2 into the keg, open the faucet, and out pours a beautiful glass of beer. But in reality, getting that perfect pour is a delicate balance involving temperature, pressure, length and inner dimension of the beer line, and gravity. For temperature you need to keep your kegs and beer lines below 40F. For pressure you need to know the CO2 volume for the beer, the temperature of the beer and then use this chart to set the pressure.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

The point of matching your serving pressure to the beer's CO2 volume pressure is so the beer in the keg maintains the proper level of bubbly from the first pour to the last. If you have different beers on tap that have significantly different CO2 volumes you will need to set each beer's serving pressure to a different level. Which is why a multi head secondary regulator is so useful. The final variable is your beer lines. A kit with a generic 3 feet of line is next to useless. You will be cutting your beer lines to length when you know what your serving pressure is, the lines inner diameter, and how far above or below the center of the keg the faucet is. Then use this calculator to give you the length.

http://www.kegerators.com/beer-line-calculator.php

Put all this together and baring leaks, you'll have a fully functioning keg system and you'll wonder why you didn't do this sooner.

I spent a lot of time in college drinking beer from a keg that was hand pumped. When I graduated, I decided co2 and refrigeration were necessary, because no longer could a keg get killed in hours. I walked in the door of the local beer distributor asked the nice lady at the desk for some information on kegerator setups. I left there with a sanke keg, tap, faucet, C02 tank, beer and co2 lines all at a great price. They were very informative and happy to help. I'm pretty sure not a lot of people do it that way but man, do those people know a lot about setting up kegs to run right. Never had a problem since.

I walked in the door of the local beer distributor asked the nice lady at the desk for some information on kegerator setups. I left there with a sanke keg, tap, faucet, C02 tank, beer and co2 lines all at a great price. They were very informative and happy to help. I'm pretty sure not a lot of people do it that way but man, do those people know a lot about setting up kegs to run right. Never had a problem since.

You still need refrigeration...

A few other thoughts:
  • Was that a filled sanke keg? What size?
  • Sanke kegs are not the easiest to use for homebrew
  • Most homebrewers want more than one beer on tap
  • How do you know it was a great price? Did you shop around and compare, before?

At minimum, you need a keg, a regulator, a co2 tank, something to connect the CO2 to the keg, and something to connect to the keg to dispense the beer.

I started with just that--show in the pic below. In fact, it's not a bad way to start, because you learn about kegging and dispensing on a relatively simple system. Once you have that down--and during the learning process you're dispensing kegged beer which you must drink--then you can consider what else you'd like to do.

I think a 2-gauge regulator is desirable; one gauge tells you the pressure you're using to push the beer from the keg, the other gives you a reading on the CO2 in the tank. The needle on the tank gauge will not move until you start to run out, but as it does, you still have remaining pressure to allow you to get it refilled. Or you have a second tank, just in case. :)

k2.jpg

I started with corney kegs but changed to s-type sankey kegs. Like madscientist I use a picnick or cobra tap. I have 2 kegs cold and just switch the coupler between them... But then I dont jump between beers. 3 to 4 meters of beer line works well, that is about 10'. Dont sweat the carbonation level, start low on carb to get a foamless beer and if you want head increase the co2.

You still need refrigeration...

A few other thoughts:
  • Was that a filled sanke keg? What size?
  • Sanke kegs are not the easiest to use for homebrew
  • Most homebrewers want more than one beer on tap
  • How do you know it was a great price? Did you shop around and compare, before?
-I had a beer fridge already.
-Sanke kegs are perfect for home brew and cider. They are superior to corneys at keeping co2 in without leaking hence why breweries dont use cornies.
-It was an empty keg.
-Back in 06 the shopping around consisted of driving 30 to 40 miles (which I did ) to homebrew stores to find they did not stock all items I needed. One shop owner in fact directed me to the beer distributor.
- I now have a 3 tap setup in that same old fridge, 1 tall 1/4 bbl and 2 tall 1/6 bbls.
To the o.p. talk to a real human for advice if you can. Preferably one who works in the industry, nothing can beat a face to face question and answer session about the investment you are looking at making.
Let us know how it goes.

Back