No Cider Yeast. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishman646

Reaction score
I'm going to a cidery on Saturday to get some fresh cider pressed specifically for making hard cider. Here's the problem, my local homebrew shop is closed for the next few days, can't get cider yeast! I just racked a batch of porter off of White Labs WLP005 British Ale yeast that is sitting in a closet at home.

Should I just culture some of the yeast cake and make a starter with the ale yeast? I was thinking of doing half extract and half cider to get the yeast somewhat used to the cider.

Will this turn out to be a mess?

Help!!

Ale yeast works well, generally. Most wine yeasts too. Actually, I've never used cider yeast for cider, so I can't say if they work better or worse. Ale yeast tends to leave a sweeter finish than most wine yeast.

There is a sticky above on different yeast, it will open up a world of possibilities. I have used WLP005, WLP300, US-05, US-04, Wine yeast all makes a good cider. Usually I ferment to dryness, crash chill, back sweeten and keg to age, then I bottle.

If I was getting the cider from a cidery specifically for hard cider, and it was unsulfited and unpasteurized, I'd probably go the wild method. Loads of people do cider with spontaneous fermentation. It is a little riskier, but you could have the payoff of a truly unique product.

When I have done cider though, it's been free apples from my neighbour's tree, pressed using improvised means in my kitchen (so not as hygienic). While I don't use campden or other preservatives in the cider, I do pitch Lalvin champagne yeast right away to get the edge over any nasties I have let in in my pressing. I've heard of people using ale yeasts though. The higher acid may lead to lower attenuation (?) and a sweeter finish, but again, a unique product. In short, I think whatever way you go, with good fresh cider and enough aging (if you can wait, mine's awesome right out of primary, but improves markedly with age), you'll have a rockin drink!

Latest posts

Back