No-Chill Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this still being represented on this site? I loved switching to No-chill back in the day and will more than likely start doing it again now that I'm coming back to the hobby. Just curious if any of you are into it or is it still mainly just the Aussies?
I'm in the states, in the desert. I've been doing no-chill for at least the last two years. My version is just to put a lid on my brew kettle and leave it alone until the next morning. I transfer to a bucket, move it to my cooler, add yeast and put on an airlock.

I was pretty much exclusively no-chill for years until just a few batches ago when I got an electric AiO that came w/ an immersion chiller (Klarstein Maischfest)...

I would put the kettle in the sink for a couple sink-fulls of water... until it was cool enough to carry outside w/out fear of scalding myself. Then
overnight-chill in the kettle w/ lid clamped on. Transfer to bucket the next day (12-18 hrs depending on outside temps.) then into swamp cooler with frozen water bottles until pitching temp.

Worked quite well.

Never did do the full Aussie no-chill in the cube... Only overnight in the kettle for me.

I have been doing 2nd runnings batches by sparging my Anvil Foundry grain basket into my old 16 qt pot. I do no chill on this second batch by leaving the kettle on the stove overnight with the lid on.

I use the immersion chiller on the main batch, first using the garden hose then recirculating ice water with an aquarium pump.

My thinking is the second batch is free beer. I use harvested yeast, older leftover hops, and specialty grains. No chill is a great method to make this second brew with very little effort.

I've used no-chill on everything from pilsner to black IPA with good results.
I take my kettle off the heat, seal around the lid with plastic wrap, and put it in the cellar until the next day.

I don't do no-chill, but I chill the wort in a sink of ice and water. It takes roughly an hour to chill. I bottle condition. The beer is very clear in the bottles when still warm but almost always has chill haze. I would think no-chill beer would be the same. So a question for the no-chill brewers: Do you have an issue with chill haze? I know I can leave a bottle in the fridge for a week, and the chill haze will clear. I'm guessing the no-chill brewers do something similar - either leave bottles in the fridge for a while, or cool the keg and leave it long enough to settle clear.

I do BIABFIAKNC. That is brew in a bag, ferment in kettle (chapman univessel), and no-chill. So at end of boil I clamp lid and a put in kitchen sink to cool enough to move to out of way location. During cool off, I have a air filter attached on lid so i can draw sterile(hopefully) air. Cooling in kitchen sink involves several cycles of filling sink with cool water and let it sit for about 15-20 mins to exchange heat. I do that for about 4 cycles. In morning, some time before noon, the temp is to where I want it. Also, by this time, my yeast starter is going. I pull wort from boil (after 15 min), let it cool on ice, then pitch yeast so it is started before end of boil. I just bought a 3.5 cu. ft. chest freezer which will serve as my new ferm. chamber so can't wait to eliminate the ice packs.

Is this still being represented on this site? I loved switching to No-chill back in the day and will more than likely start doing it again now that I'm coming back to the hobby. Just curious if any of you are into it or is it still mainly just the Aussies?
I’d second what @cgriffith just said, although I’d still use a fermenter and rack off clean wort.

all you need to do is drill a hole in your kettle lid, get a drilled rubber stopper to fit the hole, and a sterile air filter to pop into hole in the stopper. Then clamp down or plastic-wrap your kettle lid tight, and any air sucked back during cooling will be clean/sterile. Cheap and easy.

tho to be honest the Few times I had to no chill for whatever reason, I just put the lid on and left it, with no issues.

I don't do no-chill, but I chill the wort in a sink of ice and water. It takes roughly an hour to chill. I bottle condition. The beer is very clear in the bottles when still warm but almost always has chill haze. I would think no-chill beer would be the same. So a question for the no-chill brewers: Do you have an issue with chill haze? I know I can leave a bottle in the fridge for a week, and the chill haze will clear. I'm guessing the no-chill brewers do something similar - either leave bottles in the fridge for a while, or cool the keg and leave it long enough to settle clear.
To your question, I had zero problems with cloudy beer while no-chilling. I used "cubes" and found that a minimum overnight chill allowed much of the sediment to settle out. While still brewing, I usually waited 1 day due to schedule and a few times waited a week or more to allow space in my pipeline to open up. That was one of my favorite parts of the method, brewing more when you had time and just transferring/pitching when you had space.

When I moved the first time, I still had 2 cubes full. I sent all my equipment to my bro's house at the time with the intent of letting him pitch them when he had time. We pitched one a month or so later but when he moved, we realized we had a 3 year old cube with wort still in it. We ended up pitching at about year 4 when he got settled in and had a beautiful beer. It got us excited and we brewed another beer which we, again, waited a while to pitch. Never failed me.

To sum up, I like no chill for 4 main reasons; less time on brew day, less equipment to clean, you can go on a brew binge when your schedule allows and build up a pipeline ready to be pitched when life gets in the way of brewing, you use MUUUUCH less water. I love there are still nochillers here, I feel like when I got into it there would be a lot contention around it even though dry climates had been doing it for a long time.

When I use kveik yeast, I do minimal chill. Put the kettle in the sink with just tap water while I clean up and get the fermenter prepped. By the time that's all done the wort is just about pitching temp. It does help that I brew around 2 gallons.

I have brewed over 60 no chill batches to date. Never had a problem with chill haze. I use the standard Whirfloc and gelatin approach

I do no chill when I make a raw, or no boil beer. I'm not going to put my immersion chiller in the beer without it sitting in the boiling wort for a few minutes.

This weekend I made an overnight mash, no boil, no chill APA. Very little work and time to do.

I've been doing No-Chill for probably 10 years. I have switched from a 5-6 gallon plastic jug to using a 5 gallon corny keg, because the plastic jug has absorbed lots of hop aroma and become stained from the darker beers. but I got 9 years from a $10 jug.
For the last 1.5 years I've been brewing at a buddies house and we split the 10 gallon batches, so I need to carry 5 gallons home, and carry home the split starter.
We pull from the hot boil kettle into 2-5 gallon corny kegs, AND into 2 -2liter Erlenmeyer flasks (about 1.6L of wort in each). The Erlenmeyer flasks get sanitized airlocks and then get placed into 5 gallon buckets with some cold sanitizer water or rinse water, while we clean up the brew kettle and pump/hoses and the rest of the gear that has been drying. We'll change out the water for colder water so that we cool those 2 starters down fast. The single yeast packet/vial gets split, and then I put my hot 5 gal corny into my car (standing in the front passenger seat floor, with the seat forward to jam it in place), and the now cool yeast loaded starter in a clean dry 5 gallon bucket, held in place with my Ph meter and brew salts and any hops I brought over. 15-30 min drive home and the corny keg get put up on my washing machine for the night,.
The next evening the starter is going strong, and the 5 gal keg is cool, so then I transfer to a carboy and in goes the complete starter, with a couple big swirls and dump it in.

I No Chill nearly every brew.... I didn't the last two, I had a hop stand that I needed to do on one so I went a head and chilled it the rest of the way. The very last brew it was late on a Sunday, I didn't want to have to run home for lunch to pitch yeast due to work being very busy lately.

I’d second what @cgriffith just said, although I’d still use a fermenter and rack off clean wort.

all you need to do is drill a hole in your kettle lid, get a drilled rubber stopper to fit the hole, and a sterile air filter to pop into hole in the stopper. Then clamp down or plastic-wrap your kettle lid tight, and any air sucked back during cooling will be clean/sterile. Cheap and easy.

tho to be honest the Few times I had to no chill for whatever reason, I just put the lid on and left it, with no issues.
@SanPancho I am curious about your sterile air filter. My kettle has a fitting on the lid which I could easily plug in such a filter. I searched for sterile air filter but mostly ran into industrial filters. Can you relay details on the filter you referred to?

Oh you must be talking about these? In-Line Sanitary Filter for Aeration Systems

I envisioned some sort of stainless cylinder. I tend to overthinking it! :)

Last edited:
@SanPancho I am curious about your sterile air filter. My kettle has a fitting on the lid which I could easily plug in such a filter. I searched for sterile air filter but mostly ran into industrial filters. Can you relay details on the filter you referred to?

Oh you must be talking about these? In-Line Sanitary Filter for Aeration Systems

I envisioned some sort of stainless cylinder. I tend to overthinking it! :)
this little bugger. pretty much any brew shop will have them.
512WOzFEQyL._SX522_.jpg

Sanitary Filter | MoreWine

I'm going to experiment with a no chill batch this winter by slowly transferring bottom up straight to a corny that has a FLOTit floating dip tube. Let it chill in the basement a day or two while I fire up a starter made with this fresh wort, then come back and pour in the yeast and ferment right there. It'll be a very basic golden ale for the first run to try and avoid having to do math with my hop additions :cool: I plan on serving right from this keg.
One "downside" is that I'll need to leave a little bit of extra headspace for the fermentation so I'm either going to scale down to a 4-gallon batch or try filling the corny to *just* 5 gallons and use a spunding valve. I'm leaning towards the latter...

I very much cool like @jtratcliff describes.
Small batches, so easy to deal with.
Found out with my first brew with current equipment that my immersion chiller is far to big for my pot.
Interested in checking out this sanitary filter though

Very satisfying to see such positive results for no-chill.

Two years ago I also started on this road with good results. I do a small cooling in the kitchen sink with cold water and ice. I also pull a heat resistant plastic bag over my lid, so that during further cooling no air can be sucked in.

My volume is at most 2.5 gallons.

@chthon with fullest of respect, I don't think your method of using a plastic bag solves the issue. If in fact your plastic bag is "air tight", the moment you remove the bag, air will rush in as negative pressure results from the cooling wort. I prefer to have this air, in the least, filtered.

When using a corny keg, does the heat bother the rubber handles?

Would you pressurize the keg with co2 to prevent vacuum, or will this have negative effect on oxygen levels in wort?

Aside from cleaning, chilling is my least favorite part. Too many hoses and potential for problems

Would you pressurize the keg with co2 to prevent vacuum, or will this have negative effect on oxygen levels in wort?

Aside from cleaning, chilling is my least favorite part. Too many hoses and potential for problems
Not sure about the rubber feet and handles. The rubber on one of my keg's is already in bad shape and leaves black residue on your hands when cleaning. If that one survives then I think it'll be ok :D

Purging with co2 and the vacuum situation has crossed my mind. I was going to just seal that sucker up airtight. I figured if I purged, I would really have to agitate the keg after opening for the yeasties. I'm hoping a person with more science smarts might want to chime in about that and let me know if that's even a worthwhile consideration. I'm with you though, cooling is my #1 least favorite part for effort and waste of resources.

Here are the no-chill food grade drums I use. If you get extra caps, they double as fermenters. Get them from US PLASTICS. 6 gallon HEDWIN drums. Tough as hell. These have done at least 30 batches each.

Attachments

• 8A5F796E-0AE1-42B1-B596-4819200AA073.jpeg
    8A5F796E-0AE1-42B1-B596-4819200AA073.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Here are the no-chill food grade drums I use. If you get extra caps, they double as fermenters. Get them from US PLASTICS. 6 gallon HEDWIN drums. Tough as hell. These have done at least 30 batches each.
When you transfer to these, do you just leave the ambient air in the headspace while cooling before pitching?

When you transfer to these, do you just leave the ambient air in the headspace while cooling before pitching?
I have two sets of caps. After filling with hot wort, I cap them tight, flip them upside down for about an hour, to sanitize the cap. I can also do a hopstand in them with a bag of hops.

Then I put fan on them overnight to cool them, before oxygenating and pitching yeast.

If you buy them, get two with extra caps and cap wrench. Cleaning is also pretty easy after fermentation, with an overnight soak with oxyclean free.

I used to float my extract boil pots covered with foil in the swimming pool but i suppose it would be really slick to hot pack a corny and let it go swimming. I wouldnt have to worry about it tipping.

The first time I used a corny for no chill I found that the rubber got very soft and it felt like the glue was giving away on the rubber base. Now I just put the corny into a small Rubbermaid bin with cold water in it before filling with hot wort. The water is just high enough to cover the rubber base and keeps the bottom cool enough that the rubber doesn’t become pliable, seems to work pretty good. I then go ahead and purge the head space a couple times with co2 and pressurize to about 15-20psi before leaving it to chill overnight. When I go to pitch the yeast the next day there is very little pressure remaining. I open it up, add the yeast and a floating dip tube, seal it back up and shake it for a minute. I’ve only just done around 6 brews using this method but so far I’ve been very happy with the results from no chill brewing.

The first time I used a corny for no chill I found that the rubber got very soft and it felt like the glue was giving away on the rubber base. Now I just put the corny into a small Rubbermaid bin with cold water in it before filling with hot wort. The water is just high enough to cover the rubber base and keeps the bottom cool enough that the rubber doesn’t become pliable, seems to work pretty good. I then go ahead and purge the head space a couple times with co2 and pressurize to about 15-20psi before leaving it to chill overnight. When I go to pitch the yeast the next day there is very little pressure remaining. I open it up, add the yeast and a floating dip tube, seal it back up and shake it for a minute. I’ve only just done around 6 brews using this method but so far I’ve been very happy with the results from no chill brewing.
Great info there about insulating the base. My one keg where the base is clearly deteriorating would probably turn to mush lol.
It is interesting that the headspace CO2 that is absorbed into the wort doesn't seem to be enough to affect the later fermentation. I suppose the concentration is probably minimal enough to not be a factor, as long as there is enough oxygen in there from agitation. Thanks for the info! A keg just happened to become available around 11:30 last night, so a brew day is on the horizon....

No chill rocks. I just finish the boil, put the lid on the kettle, point a fan at the kettle, and go inside. The next day around lunchtime I transfer to fermentors and pitch yeast.

With 2 young kids and such little spare time, no chill helps open up opportunities to brew that would not exist otherwise; this is what got me doing it in the first place, after using the IC method for several years. Using the no chill approach I can start a brew session after the kids are in bed, no problem, even on a weeknight. If I tried that using the "full" chill process, I'd have to be out in the garage until 2am; with no-chill, it can be lights out by like 10pm. Luckily I work from home most of the time, so at lunch time the day after, I can do the transfer and pitch the yeast. After work that evening I can finish clean up. It takes a bit of planning but breaking up the process sure helps fit a time-consuming hobby into a busy life.

I've only used my immersion chiller once or twice in the last few years. I mean, there is definitely something to be said for just getting a brew done in a single session, but after 15-20 batches of no chill I simply do not see a downside to it.

EDIT TO ADD: for the sake of completeness I should mention that I did screw up one batch with a sloppy no-chill approach. It was in the absolute dead of summer and the wort did not chill as much as I hoped by lunch time the next day. I stupidly went ahead and pitched the yeast anyway because it was the only opportunity I had to do it that day, and the beer had an unwanted phenolic character to it. It was still drinkable but not at all what I was after. But this is my own stupidity in rushing, not a problem with the process itself.

Last edited:
Using the no chill approach I can start a brew session after the kids are in bed, no problem, even on a weeknight. If I tried that using the "full" chill process, I'd have to be out in the garage until 2am; with no-chill, it can be lights out by like 10pm.

I don't quite understand that part. It doesn't need to take 4 hours to chill. I can chill to 65-70 degrees in 20-25 min with my IC, a couple blocks of ice that I threw in the freezer beforehand and a cheap pump. I did it yesterday in the middle of a Wisconsin winter as long as I keep the hose in my attached garage that stays above freezing. I have no doubt though that no chill works fine.

I always had oxidation issues when doing no chill. Unless the batch was very hoppy. I guess the hops oxidised first and therefore were sacrificed to keep the malt compounds unoxidized. It was always this dreaded almond flavour.... If I would do no chill today again, I would use something like ascorbic acid and try to minimise surface area etc. Basically kind of lodo, so that there's as little oxygen as possible present in the liquid during the chilling period. Elevated temperatures for prolonged time and oxygen is a very bad combination.

I can see that working very well with stainless steel. Would it also work for a speidel fermenter (those white/orange ones)?
I ruined a speidel with no chill after one or two years of excessive usage with boiling wort. The lid does not close tightly anymore. But I think 70c should be fine. If I remember correctly, they are listed as stable up until 80c or something like that? Don't remember... But you can look it up in the internet on their page

I always had oxidation issues when doing no chill. Unless the batch was very hoppy. I guess the hops oxidised first and therefore were sacrificed to keep the malt compounds unoxidized. It was always this dreaded almond flavour.... If I would do no chill today again, I would use something like ascorbic acid and try to minimise surface area etc. Basically kind of lodo, so that there's as little oxygen as possible present in the liquid during the chilling period. Elevated temperatures for prolonged time and oxygen is a very bad combination.
So I use half a Campden tab in my strike water, and do no splashing when emptying my boil kettle into my nochill drum. It must work, because I have never had that almond flavor.

Back