No Carbonation?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjnowak

Reaction score
Deadringer IPA Extract Kit
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/DeadRingerIPA.pdf

That's whats I was using. Stayed in the primary for 2 weeks. Transferred to secondary. Dry-hopped after 1 week, bottled 1 week after that. Used the priming sugar Northern Brewer gave me.

Prior to bottling, I cold crashed at 40deg for 2 days. At every transfer (primary --> secondary; secondary --> bottle) I was careful to leave all trub/gunk at the bottom of the vessel. Upon transferring from secondary to bottling, I filtered the beer through a paint strainer. After bottling for 6 days I put one in the fridge for 24 hours. I poured it and it was crystal clear, looked amazing, tasted just as good. The only problem was there was no carbonation whatsoever. No head at all. Every other process along the way should have been completed according to directions. This was the very first beer I have brewed, and want to know if there is anything I can do to correct this? I also want to know, because I have two other beers fermenting that I do not want this to happen to as well. Can anyone give me some hint of what I might have done wrong?... When transferring from primary --> secondary and from secondary --> bottle I stayed far away from the bottom and left a lot of trub left behind. Did I leave too much yeast behind? I thought the correct process was to leave as much of that behind as possible? Like I said, the beer tasted amazing, just flat. Please help! Thanks!

6 days is probably not a long enough time for bottle conditioning. At what temperature were the bottles stored? Give them 2 more weeks at 70 and I bet you'll be fine.

Six days is not near enough time. A rule of thumb for carbonating bottles is three weeks. Higher gravity beers can take even longer. Keep the bottles in an area that stays in the 70'sF for at least another two weeks. Then pop some in the fridge for a few days before enjoying.
Don't strain the beer in anyway after fermentation! Introducing oxygen to the beer after fermentation can cause nasty oxidized flavors that can taste and smell like old, wet cardboard. Your method of leaving the trub behind when transferring and doing a cold crash will give you clear beer. Just pour gently and leave the last ounce or so in the bottle. That is where the small amount of trub will accumulate after it is carbonated and chilled.

Ahhh, whew, hopefully that is it. I was just so anxious that I just had to try one after 1 week. They have been stored at 67 degrees, without fluctuation. Should I bring them upstairs where the temp is warmer? I'm in no rush to drink the beer as I'm preparing for a marathon in the coming months, so I plan on staying "soberer" for that time. Will it be okay to leave at 67, or should I move to a warmer temp? Thank you so far, I've been freaking out! haha

67 is fine, the rule of thumb is 3 weeks at 70 degrees, so i would say 4 ish. But if youre storing it for a while it will carb up eventually.anyways.

Mayne crack one open in a few more weeks to make sure.

Edit - to add, where i leave my bottles conditioning its 75-80 and are usually.carbed at the two week mark when i check on them.

Another vote for patience. I find that some of my beers will carbonate in two weeks but, ALL tasted better after 3 weeks or longer.

Back