No carbonation in my bottles???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylelarson

Reaction score
It's been five days and I cracked my first bottle and there is almost no carbonation. It has been unusually cold in my storage, probably around 55 degrees or so. If I move my bottles to a warmer area of the house would the yeast get more active or am I kind of screwed now?

It's been five days and I cracked my first bottle and there is almost no carbonation. It has been unusually cold in my storage, probably around 55 degrees or so. If I move my bottles to a warmer area of the house would the yeast get more active or am I kind of screwed now?

Move it to a warm spot and it will carb up just fine. My last apfelwein went ~4-5 weeks with zero carbonation at ~60F and was beautifully carbed after moving it to ~70F for 1 week.

NO......5 days is way to early, try 3 weeks. There's a bunch of threads on this site about bottle conditioning.

Encouraging words. It's an IPA so it should condition for a couple weeks at least anyway I think. I'll check another bottle next week to see where I'm at

They need to be in a lot warmer spot. Since you burned a week dormant,it'll likely be three more weeks to get the yeast going again & carbonate.

had the same issue. Move them to a warm closet or room. Shake the cases up too. Start the bottle conditioning time over while you'll doing it. It takes a little longer for the yeast to wake back up.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Temp and gravity are the two most important factors as to how long it will take.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Carbonation is actually foolproof, you add sugar, the yeast eats it and farts co2 which carbs the beer. It's not a complex system, and there's very little that can go wrong...It just takes time.....

There really is no other answer than patience, because there really isn't a problem. It really is a simply and fool proof process. The problem arises that we try to govern the behavior based on our timeframe, and not the yeast's. They don't read calendars or instruction sheets, they just do their own thing in however long it takes them.

I've been doing this for years, and bottled nearly a thousand gallons of beer, and have never had one that didn't carb eventually. And I don't do anything special to them at bottling day, that isn't explained in my bottling sticky. You just gotta wait.

Listen to Revvy. Way too llittle time and way too cold. Warm up the beer and wait, and it WILL carb up.

Back