no bubbles after one day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brinic

Reaction score
Ok im new so want to say hi to everyone saturday night wife and I tried our first attempt at brewing

she wanted a red ale so we got it all made cooled the wort down to 75 degrees in the freezer put it in the bucket stired it added the yeast as it said and put lid on and airlock

sunday it was bubbleing away smelled good in the closet but came home monday not a bubble wife said it had not been all day

is it done already or stalled ?

Should i add more yeast and if so what do i buy it was just the package came with the kit we used i have no idea what to use

thanks

Brian

I'm gonna guess it's still fermenting but your lid is not as sealed as you'd think. In the beginning, it was probably offgassing enough that even a lid leak was not enough escape so CO2 pushed though the airlock. Now that it's slowing, the leak is probably the path of least resistance.

yeah, check your bucket, those things have a tendency not to be sealed as good as you think. Same thing happened to me...

What yeast did you use, some of the dry yeast strains (safale and Nottinghams) ferment really quickly. Only way to tell if it's truely stuck is to take hydrometer readings on consecutive days, but I'd give it some time, it's probably still doing its thing, just not as actively.

not sure what yeast it was was a plain package that came with the kit we used

i know next time im keeping better track of everything i use didnt think about it being my first time

how long should i wait before i check it we started it saturday night when should i start checking it to see if it is done

Probably your bucket. My bucket never bubbles much but always ferments.

Dude, been there and DONE that. Had the exact same problem with my American Amber. But, at the advice of all the brethren here, went ahead and took it to the full 9 yards.....primary, secondary and bottling. Turned out fine. Beer is just that way. You'll read stories on here where some beer will literally blow off the bubbler because it is fermenting that much and others, you'll barely even notice. Constant temperature is another key. I notice mine ferment best when the ambient temperature is about 70 F.

ok went and took a reading per the local guy here it is at 1.020 right now

He said also prob the bucket and to take reading so i will check tomorrow night see if it changed

looks to me like it is done no foam at all just a dark red color

found the sheet of what it was also ad where i started at

started at 1.056

can said it was edme red ale and briess cbw sparkeling amber on the other can

hopefully it will be good

any ideas what i should try next?

Assuming your OG was close to 1.056, and your now at 1.020, your beer is doing what its supposed to.
[(20/56)*100]-100 = 65% attenuation
Depending on the type of yeast used, and quantity of unfermentables in your brew ... this may be as low as grav will go. none the less, check the grav again in a couple days, and if its the same ... its done. Since the foam has dropped, now would be a good time to transfer to a carboy if you are using one. if you're not ... don't worry, its not required.
sounds like everything is in line.
right on
newfie

Latest posts

Back