No Boil Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burch

Reaction score
O.K. has anyone tried these no boil kits and if so what`s the poop on `em and which ones are the best ? I might as well try this once.

Burch :mug:

Seems like Palmer says to go ahead and boil them and add hops. I guess that doesn't really make it no boil. But that should tell you something about them.

I made one once- my husband bought it for me as a gift, not knowing how I actually do it. Not horrible. There are probably worse beers. It was, however, my worst batch. We didn't drink it, but gave it to some friends who did drink most of it eventually.

Why not just order an extract kit from somewhere like AHBS or your LHBS and make that? It's going to be a better beer, give you a little more experience with brewing and considering the price of good beer, you'll get a little more than 2 cases of good beer for a little more than $30.

I read about them in Palmers - How To brew. Just curious, it does sound like a good idea but then again if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

Burch

burch said:
but then again if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

Burch

ayup :)

Extract brewing is easy, fun and a great way to get into it. We just brewed our second batch yesterday, and will likely brew another this coming weekend :)

I brewed a couple when I started, they were good but there again they where the best I could find. One of them was actually from a brewery using the same wort they use for the commercial stuff.

You get what you pay for. Don't go for the cheap nasty stuff.

I bought and used a Cooper's Pilsner hopped extract kit for my first beer brew.
It was the 4 lb can and I just boiled water, took it off of the heat and stirred in all the LME from the kit and two extra lbs of light DME. Cooled it and pitched the dry yeast. Easy as can be and it worked out great, made a 6 gallon batch.

I always add some fermentable, even if it is just a pound of DME and boil the kit anyway. You already got the mess to clean up, why not go through the whole process and practice your boiling/break technique? Sure, you can make beer without boiling, and it will still be better than BUD but if you are going to go that far, keep moving FOWARD, not backward. JMO:mug:

My first two batches were no-boil (Brewsack). Vile! Even Guzzleboy wouldn't drink them. Not saying that you can't make ok beer with one, but doing an extract boil isn't much more work.

Back