No action in air lock. Worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pineknot

Reaction score
I brewed a SMaSH beer yesterday and 24 hours later there is no action in my air lock. I got impatient waiting for my wort to chill and I think I pitched the yeast too soon. The temp. was about 100*. Should I worry? Should I continue to wait or re-pitch?

I've been holding off on a wort chiller till now.

I would probably wait another day or so. 100 degrees probably shouldn't kill the yeast, but if it was much above that it may have. Could have also shocked them and they're having a hard time getting going.

You might also want to try rousing the yeast by giving your FV a bit of a swirling around.
You wouldnt be the first brewer to be surprised by lack of bubbles but still have fermentation.

I would agree with Low on this one, you shocked or killed alot of them off, so less active yeast are in the wort, might take them a little more time to take off. If nothing in 72 hour you'll have to get some more.

Update... I got a little action. Just started bubbling. I tend to panic too early. Thanks!

In theory you should because the yeast should reproduce to numbers good enough for fermentation. Hope that it works out in your favor this time!

Back