"Nitro" Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbshen41

Reaction score
Since learning about nitro coffee I have been obsessed. I want nothing more than a pint of cold brew coffee with the mouthfeel and creaminess of a guniess. Has anyone had luck good or bad with using beer gas? I want personal experiences not opinions. I want the cascading and frothiness but I
Don't want it to make acidic and bitter either the little co2 in beer gas. I am also concerned that if using beer gas the shelf life of cold brew with be short due to the C02 absorption. Any info would be much appreciated!

I'm interested in this too, we currently cold brew using a Toddy and it makes delicious cold brew. I plan to run a stout tap with coffee on nitro when I build out a kegerator.

From all I've read you do not get a head with using 100% Nitro, and with beer gas you do but over time you will get a bitter taste, seems like a lose lose to me unless you are planning to have a fast turn around on kegs, which I'm not. I just purchased the beer gas tank, regulator and the parts to make a stout faucet. I guess if it's a failure i have the equipments to serves stouts!

Has anyone "perfected" the nitro combo? It seems like 60/40 seems to be the common split but curious if anyone has delivered what they feel is a better ratio.

I just had some this week at a new Prewpub we have here. It was amazing. I will find out what he is doing. I know he hit it with a little CO2 when he kegged it. The head and mouthfeel were very nice. It really brought out the chocolate notes in the coffee. Actually the reason I came to the forum today was to see if there was more information on it.

Mark

My perfect breakfast ideas is compose of Nitro coffee with bread while listening to David bowie's music. Im addicted. Im learning how to make my own Nitrogen coffee now.

the MSDS on Aligal 13 (beergas) says it ranges from 85-60% N gas and from 15-40% CO2 gas. my local Air Liquide shop mixes it 70/30 when I fill up... I'm interested in this thread as this was the best coffee I've EVER had and i have an empty 2 gal corny tank to play with...

A word of Caution; Mixed gas cylinders don't actually mix worth a doggone. Occasionally, you will find a Gas Provider that installs a perforated dip tube, that is engineered to get you a mix that will be, mostly, within the range it professes to be. Mostly.... If you do want to experiment with mixed gas on a coffee, i recommend Medium or lighter roast, Central American Varieties that are Brewed hot and then Chilled for N2 Saturation. If you cold press, you wont get enough oil to produce a Crema. Coffee is sugar and Protein free, so the oil extraction is essential, especially in lighter roasts. Use these varieties, because the naturally sweet and fruity flavours of this region will balance the CO2 bite better. Also, I would not recommend a blend higher than 25%. I will add more dispense tech tips on this later.

I have been asking the staff at local coffee shops that serve nitro coffee and they have said that they usually use a blend of 80% N2, 20% CO2 and serve at 20-30 psi.

Back