Nitro (beer gas) bottle refill problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ha

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem filling a Nitro/co2 bottle lately?

We moved to Alaska and I have a nitro system in my beer frig. I ran out of beer gas so went to the local gas store and was told they couldn't exchange or fill my bottle due to some new (about a year ago) regulations with dispensing gases for bars and restaurants. They said if I wanted beer gas I could apply for an account and rent a bottle at $1.19 PER DAY!!! I said no thanks. they showed me the bottles they have and they had some shrink wrapped seal on the valve stem. They did say I could get a pure nitrogen bottle.

One thought I had was to get the nitrogen to push the beer and let it sit on co2 when not in use. I don't know if that would accomplish the same thing or even if that kind of nitrogen is "clean" enough to not put funky flavors in the beer.

Has anyone had similar issues or have other possible solutions. I haven't checked with the local homebrew shops, but will try that source tomorrow.

Thanks for any information you might have.

I just spoke with the local Homebrew shop and they recommended a different gas supplier. They haven’t heard of any new regulations, but have heard of issues with my first choice in suppliers. It appears as though some suppliers have different internal regulations or policies.

Very glad I didn’t bite when they offered to exchange my more expensive high pressure bottle for a less expensive low pressure bottle.

I usually exchange a 20lb bottle of 75/25 for $40. Last week I tried and was told it would now cost $96 unless I opened an account and I needed to open it almost immediately to get it done. I filled out the paperwork and it cost $56.

Back