Nine hops?!? Is it possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sablesurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, my family was picking on the name I have chosen for my corner of the basement brew area. (No, not a brewery, but I wanted a name all the same.) That conversation led to a beer idea.

What if you wanted to get nine hops into a beer? Could you do it? Would you do it? (My google-fu seems to fail when I type in 'beer with most hops' because it never comes back with number of hops, just highest IBU.)

If you were to attempt this, how do you avoid hop clashes or an overload of one thing? Would you look at oil contents? Would you avoid hops with high farnesene because those are mostly German/Bavarian decendants? Would you go with low cohumulone to avoid getting overly harsh bitters?

I ran a quick layout of all the flavors/aromas that 'seem' to compliment each other. MANY of these are rather high IBU hops, so thinking that leads me to a double IPA and very judicious use of each. Here's my preliminary notes.

Warrior--A bittering and aromatic hop. Mild and resinous with subtle citrus, pine and herbal characteristics
Millennium--Mild and resinous with floral and herbal tones
Amarillo--Citrusy, flowery. Floral, tropical, and citrus (lemon, orange and grapefruit) characteristics
Citra--Strong citrus and tropical tones of grapefruit, melon, lime, gooseberry, passion fruit and lychee
Chinook--Mild to medium-heavy, spicy, piney, and grapefruity.
Galaxy--passion fruit, citrus, apricot, melon, black current, can be pungent (Late addition?)
Glacier--Dual purpose hop with a citrus earthy aroma.
Mosaic--Both fruity and containing grassy, floral, earthy notes.
Motueka--Lively lemon and lime tones with background hints of tropical fruit

I had Riwaka on the list based on some notes, but couldn't find any hop union notes on it.

Just noticing I never even got Cascade on the list, so might have to bump something.

Rakau is actually highish in farnesene at a 4.5, but not nearly as high as some of the noble hops are.

Magnum to bitter, Falconer's Flight 7C's and Galaxy the rest of the way ... Maybe cheating a bit, but technically 9 hops and it shouldn't be too muddled!

Shmaltz brewing has used at least 7 in two different IPA's. One was a 7 Hop, 7 Malt, 7% Black IPA that was surprisingly good. Hop Manna also was brewed with 7 hops I think, but the website now only lists 6. I'm pretty sure this one takes the cake though, 17 different malts, 17 hop varieties and 17% of course. http://www.shmaltzbrewing.com/HEBREW/j17.html

Schmaltz, should have thought of them, I've had a few of those crazier ones.

As for the Falconer, I will have to look that up because I don't want to recreate a 'plain' ol citrus bomb. I am liking the tropical and fruit notes listed in the hop descriptions. But I have to go look now to make sure... :D

Back