Nightmare Brew Days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
Today I had one of those brew days I wish would end about 30 minutes in...

I managed to shatter both of my sightglasses (1 on Kettle, 1 on HLT), the glass resultantly cut my hands up and they bled the entire time I was brewing (not very sanitary, I suppose). My false bottom also came disconnected mid-mash from the pickup tube. I ended up coming up w/ a clean glove-esque device to connect T-Bazooka tube to the end of the pickup.

Good News is that I perfectly hit the OG (first time for me doing allgrain) and had the perfect volume (another personal allgrain first). I guess it was bittersweet.

Anyone else have nightmarish brew days?

Luckily I haven't had too many bad things happen.....damn, now I just jinxed myself :mad:

Sucks about your sight glasses dude but at least you hit your numbers :rockin:

Had a stuck sparge cuz I opened up the valve to far/fast on the vorlauf which caused my mash bed to suck down and compact.

Sucked.

Sorry bout the sight glass...I for one have never seen the benefit of installing a piece of glass on my kettle or liquor tank...but I like things simple...:D

The last failure I had involved a short in my heatstick that kept popping the breaker. As I absolutely needed it for what I was doing that day I had to scrap the mash. At least the hops hadn't got used yet.

Now I keep two on hand in case one goes south on me.

Yesterday I had some friends over, one of them a brewmaster for Hops restaurant and bar. I could not get my keg to drain after the boil, nothing worked, couldnt even siphon it out. I had to dump the keg into a big pot, and then into the fermenter. First time that has ever happned, and of course, only when I am trying to impress someone.
Oh well.

mentioned this about a month ago...

I had the entire house to myself since my wife and two young sons were off for the day somewhere.

I was doing a weizen batch (I think)... grain/extract... sanitized all of my stuff and started heating some water.

I then poured beer # 1.

Steeped my grains...

poured beer # 2

Sparged...

poured beer # 3 "Ooooo! A tripel... i forgot I had that!!"

Added my extract...

poured beer # 4

Added bittering hops... "HEYYYY!!! LET'S PUT ON SOME TUNES!!! WHOOOOO!!!"

poured beer # 5

Added aroma hops... "FIAIHIN SKJDFOFOWWFF GAARBREDLDL!!!!!"

Poured beer # 6...

"IIIIII'MMMM HUNNNNGRY!!! OOOO SUNFLOWER SEEDS!!!!!"

... finished the boil.... chilled it... started straining it into the carboy.... and then noticed... a freakin' ton of sunflower seed shells in the strainer that just got strained out of my wort.

Apparently I wasn't hitting my spit cup with every shell.

I dumped it all and took a nap. Not proud of it but laugh about it now.

Back