Nice try Walmart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fails to answer the first basic question required of journalism: WHO? WHO is filing the lawsuit?

have to click thru FOUR links to find it's some SCHMUCK in Ohio who bought a 12-pack for $14, because Walmart said it was "craft"

nice try, SCHMUCK. if I were deciding the case, you wouldn't even get your $14 back.

anyone who actually knows what craft beer is wouldn't be buying Great Value brand beer

anyone who actually knows what craft beer is wouldn't be buying Great Value brand beer
LOL. Except that they aren't labeled, "Great Value." They are labeled with a brewery's name that doesn't really exist unless you google the address and find the beers are brewed by Genesee. While I think the practice is mildly deceptive, I don't think it's illegal and this guy's case should get thrown out just like the guy that sued AB InBev for saying Blue Moon was craft.

this type of thing has been going on for years. "Plank Road Brewery" makes Icehouse and Red Dog. is there an actual Plank Road Brewery? NO. there WAS, until Frederick Miller bought it and renamed it Miller Brewing Co.

what actual damage was done by buying Walmart beer? none. guy probably KNEW it wasn't actual "craft" beer, but bought it to extort $ from Walmart.

this type of thing has been going on for years. "Plank Road Brewery" makes Icehouse and Red Dog. is there an actual Plank Road Brewery? NO. there WAS, until Frederick Miller bought it and renamed it Miller Brewing Co.

what actual damage was done by buying Walmart beer? none. guy probably KNEW it wasn't actual "craft" beer, but bought it to extort $ from Walmart.
You do realize I'm agreeing with you, right?

"however, it (lawsuit) should really also include payments for anyone who was forced to listen to a craft beer snob at a party talking about how the hops he uses are treated with vanilla and jasmine or whatever. That’s not specific to Trouble Brewing, of course, but it is super annoying."

Haha. Beer snobs are the worst. :tank:

I bought a 6 pack one time of the cats away ipa because I liked the name.

It was a bad decision. I love Genesee though.

If by "Craft Brew" Walmart feels is tastes similar to glue and should be in the arts and crafts section of their stores, they may have reason to call it craft brew - otherwise, they are way off base. :)

I actually bought a case of Kirkland Brand beer once. I'd never think of "craft" items being sold this way, but it was too cheap to pass up.
A lot of Kirkland brand items are good quality, but this particular batch of contracted "craft" beer wasn't in my opinion, because my hop preference doesn't run into the bitterness range past a pale ale. Other people seemed to think it was OK.
Live and learn.

"Craft Beer" has been defined by the Brewing industry itself and can be made on an industrial scale. There's no legal definition of craft beer. Walmart can call their beer anything they want to, as long as they get label approval from the State and Federal bureaucrats. The USA is still a (somewhat) free country.

MOD EDIT: Political comment removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to turn it political on a wild ass assumption :rolleyes:

The plaintiff is probably just trying to make some money off a company with deep pockets, which also means they have high priced lawyers.

Way to turn it political on a wild ass assumption :rolleyes:

and you know what happens when you make an "assumption", right? you make an A$$ out of U and UMPTION

The plaintiff is probably just trying to make some money off a company with deep pockets, which also means they have high priced lawyers.

exactly. and the only people who walk away with the $ is the lawyers

I actually bought a case of Kirkland Brand beer once. I'd never think of "craft" items being sold this way, but it was too cheap to pass up.

That Kirkland assortment was one of the first 'craft beers' I bought as well! A few weeks earlier, I was talking with a friend about brewing our own beer and he said "Anything but IPA!". Having never had an IPA, I asked him why and he explained: Imagine you are playing a pick-up game of basketball, shirts vs skins. You've been playing for a while when you go in for a layup. One of the skins comes in to block you and you get a big mouthful of sweaty arm pit. THAT is an IPA!

So I bought the Kirkland assortment for research and cracked open the IPA. My buddy must have bought the same one because damn if he wasn't spot on with the sweaty armpit taste!

I actually think that every craft consumer should try that assortment. It recalibrates your palate so every beer after that tastes a little bit better.

along with the Kirkland assortment, our Costco carries some very tasty craft brews. some local, some not-so-local.

couple years ago, they had an Irish assortment for St Paddy's Day (Guinness, Smithwicks & Harp) and I bought a case for my Birthday/Paddy's Day party. served those along with a couple homebrews. homebrews went quick, I think I still have a six-pack - at least - of those commercial beers.

"however, it (lawsuit) should really also include payments for anyone who was forced to listen to a craft beer snob at a party talking about how the hops he uses are treated with vanilla and jasmine or whatever. That’s not specific to Trouble Brewing, of course, but it is super annoying."

Haha. Beer snobs are the worst. :tank:
I caught that line, too. Really stupid.

Everybody knows you'd never use vanilla and jasmine in the same beer. They'd fight each other! And the jasmine is too subtle, so the vanilla would win every time.

Non-brewers are the worst.

Back