Nibs v Powder v Extract; Consensus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricScott

Reaction score
Lots of threads, lots of conflicting info. Does anyone know of a consensus? Has anyone tried all three?

I've tried all three. Extract gives you the best chocolate flavor without all the extra hassle.

By hassle, I mean trub, secondary additions, figuring out how to sanitize, etc.

The nibs are also a very good option, but to me they give off more of a bitter chocolate flavor. I typically use powder because it's easy to come by and gives a nice subtle flavor. I went through a chocolate stout phase, but to be honest, I'm sick of them now. When I use chocolate, I don't want it to be a strong flavor.

If you want over-the-top flavor, then use nibs or powder late in the boil, and add extract at bottling time.

I throw powder in the last 10-20 minutes of the boil and get GREAT chocolate flavor with no muss and no fuss. I haven't tried nibs or extract (though I want to try nibs in secondary) so I can't say powder is better, but I can say it works very well. Plus, to me using actual cocoa powder rather than an extract or flavoring just feels more "real" and "authentic" to me, whatever that really means.

I had great results with powder also, strong chocolate flavor. I did have a lot more trub than normal, but the flavor was more than worth it.

What? A consensus in homebrewing?!?!?!?!?!
07542451292thumb.gif

Why the heck do you think there are different threads? They're not conflicting...they all work. There's an old saying in homebrewing "Ask 10 different homebrewers the same question and you'll get 12 different answers, and they all will be right."

Alright, so I think Ill throw some powder in at 10 mins then at bottling time if it isnt chocolaty enough, Ill add some extract.
Im going to use coffee too, so considering skipping hops altogether to avoid over-bitterness. Any thoughts on that idea?

Thanks again!

You'll still want the hops since they're a preservative. Just add a small amount of bittering hops and you'll be fine. Go light on the coffee if you want to taste the chocolate.

+1 on a bit of hops. I use a couple ounces of fuggles at 60 in my chocolate stout and that's it. No aroma or flavor hops to interfere with the chocolate. Got nicked for that when I entered it in a competition, but I decided this isn't a competition beer. This is just one I like to drink. :D

Back