NHBC Cincinnatti--CLUB NIGHT planning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What are we going to do for a booth/theme?

Should we put the HBT logo on Cafepress and have everyone order T-shirts?

Let's hear some ideas.

EDIT: I'll keep a running total of kegs/food items, etc. going for planning. I'll update this first post with the amounts.

I'll plan on bringing at least 2 kegs of beer (I'm driving), so once we get more I'll continue to update it.

KEGS (3): EdWort (1), ohiobrewtus (1), Clayof2day (1)

FOOD:

Keith said that he'd provide some stuff. An HBT banner, and some other stuff. I think we definitely need t-shirts (or those shirts like you guys did last year) and cafepress would be a good place to get them.

I'd like to have a booth with a theme and I'd be game to help organize it. I'm not creative, though, so I'd need you guys to come up with the ideas and I can help implement.

YooperBrew said:
Keith said that he'd provide some stuff. An HBT banner, and some other stuff. I think we definitely need t-shirts (or those shirts like you guys did last year) and cafepress would be a good place to get them.

I'd like to have a booth with a theme and I'd be game to help organize it. I'm not creative, though, so I'd need you guys to come up with the ideas and I can help implement.

I think we need to do some kind of computer theme, I really do. Maybe the gadget gurus can come up with something cool to serve from. I'd recommend we ahve about 6-8 taps going.

As far as food, simple stuff. Cooking the pizzas last year was kind of a PITA, IMHO.

I don't recommend going the same route as last year with the shirts though, they didn't hold up very well. I don't see anything wrong with us putting the HBT logo on cafepress and everyone ordering their own shirt(s). Makes it MUCH easier. We have the option of putting a few designs on there, as well as different styles of shirts.

I'm driving in from Austin, TX with a keg of Apfelwein that will have been aged for over 1 YEAR.

Any local folks handling the draft systems? I can bring my 3 faucet setup. It's the newer red cooler on the right. It's not a jocky box, but just something to hold shanks & faucets.

BCWBrewfest1.jpg

I think we should also find a place that can get some business cards printed up. Throw the logo on there with the site URL.

We had so many people come to our booth last year that had never heard of HBT. They were kind of amazed at the concept of an online club.

I'll commit to a keg of EF, and possibly another keg if the consensus is that we need more beer. I'm driving as well, but the only help I'd be as far as a setup would be to bring my Sanyo and I don't see that happening.

Maybe the Cincy boys will step up for a Brewout. I'd consider flying in for that... splitting a batch and bringing an empty Corny. That's about the only way that I'd be able to bring beer at this point.

I have American Dollars. They still have some value and I might be able to make up for my lack of beer with it.

olllllo said:
Maybe the Cincy boys will step up for a Brewout. I'd consider flying in for that... splitting a batch and bringing an empty Corny. That's about the only way that I'd be able to bring beer at this point.

I have American Dollars. They still have some value and I might be able to make up for my lack of beer with it.

I guess that you could always see if someone who is driving could make one of your recipes for you. Of course then it's subject to the methods and practices of someone other than you, but seeing as how you can't bring a full keg on a plane (damn airlines), it's a viable alternative.

I think we will have more than enough beer just from those that are driving. I honestly don't think we need any more than 10-15 kegs. I'm not even sure we went through what we brought last year.

Question: I just ordered my kegging equipment literally 5 minutes ago, so I'm still pretty n00by. What's the deal on bringing a keg? How do you get it cold and serve it? Will someone have a jockey box?

Evan! said:
Question: I just ordered my kegging equipment literally 5 minutes ago, so I'm still pretty n00by. What's the deal on bringing a keg? How do you get it cold and serve it? Will someone have a jockey box?

When you arrive, they put the kegs in a refrigerated truck until Club Night. They deliver them to your booth and everything. Just make sure the beer is carbed up enough to serve it. The hotel provides ice and big buckets too.

As far as the serving device, that is what we have to come up with.

We can also have some of us bring C02 manifolds so we can serve a few kegs at a time from 1-2 tanks. I have an extra tank (15lbs) that I can bring with me--that will be enough gas to last the whole night and then some.

Dude said:
I think we will have more than enough beer just from those that are driving. I honestly don't think we need any more than 10-15 kegs. I'm not even sure we went through what we brought last year.

***the Dude thinks my Beer sucks***

Dude said:
We didn't empty the 5 or 6 we had last year.

Great ideas with the t-shirts, business cards, and banner. How about some bumper stickers as well?

I'm open to the theme and the Computer tap sounds good to me. I think I'm driving so I could bring a keg and a few other assorted things.

I will be driving this year, so you can put me down for an if needed keg of Remember the Amarillo, this an APA that I'm entering that was 1.5 points short of the APA that got gold at nationals last year (even though I didn't make the second round!).

Edit: If I can get my hands on a 3 gal. keg (I'm not paying for one, I'd have to find one to borrow) I can bring something funky too. That would actually be really neat since its from the wood chips I got from Vinnie at last years NHC.

Looking forward to seeing you guys!

Hey everyone,

Since we seem to have no shortage of people willing to bring beer this year and since we didn't go through ANY of the kegs we had at club night last year, do you think we should try to get in on the hospitality suite? It would be a really great chance to get some exposure for TX beyond club night and it would be a really great chance to kick kegs that people brought. Just a thought, any interest from everyone?

YooperBrew said:
I think that would be a great idea. It seems like we're late trying to plan much for club night. Do we want to order t-shirts, plan food, etc?
I think we need to do the t-shirts even if we don't do anything else.

T-shirts will be easy--have someone throw the HBT logo on some shirts over at CafePress and we are golden.

ALSO--I regret to say I am officially OUT of this event. I'm mandated to go to a 6 week course during June/July. I can't get out of it--and I'm really not too thrilled right now.

Anyway....can someone take the reins on keeping track of kegs (I've deleted mine, so the count is accurate now.

You know, this is about the point where local Ohio people need to step up and start making some decisions.

Cincinnati is the host city and as such those that support us locally have to get a handle what they can do for us and what we can do to help them pull it off. I am more than willing to do what ever I can in terms of $$$, pre-event support in the form of shirts and other things that can be shipped, etc.

We desparately need one or two people locally that can receive goods, that will coordinate building something, find out what we can use to cook in / cook with, ect.

Who will be our Cincinnati committee, point-man, etc.

C'mon you know your city. What should we do? Should we all start brewing a Cincy Chili APA 4 ways? An Ocho Cinco Porter? A Police Brewtality Pale?
Can you get Adrian Belew or Nic Lachey to come to our booth?

What????

C'mon!! We're at 90 days people!

olllllo said:
You know, this is about the point where local Ohio people need to step up and start making some decisions.

Cincinnati is the host city and as such those that support us locally have to get a handle what they can do for us and what we can do to help them pull it off. I am more than willing to do what ever I can in terms of $$$, pre-event support in the form of shirts and other things that can be shipped, etc.

We desparately need one or two people locally that can receive goods, that will coordinate building something, find out what we can use to cook in / cook with, ect.

C'mon you know your city. What should we do? Should we all start brewing a Cincy Chili APA 4 ways? An Ocho Cinco Porter? A Police Brewtality Pale?

What????

I'm not actually local, but I'm 2.5 hours away and will be driving, so anyone who is flying and needs to ship to someone local can send me a PM for address information and I'll make sure to get what you send me to the conference.

I don't know the Cincy area very well at all, so I'm not much help on coordinating events or meeting places locally but I'm willing to help out in whatever way that I can.

olllllo said:

What????

I can potentially help out. It is a bit up in the air right now because I am in a job search right now and my top prospect will involve some travel. I would hate to commit right now just to find out that I won't be around. I can do some pre-planning now though. Our local homebrew club is one of the sponsors and is doing a lot of the planning fo the event. We have a club meeting tomorrow night. Is there any information you want me to get or to pass along? I have never been to nationals before so I have no frame of reference for things that would need to be organized.

Sorry. I didn't mean to pop-off.

Since we're still themeless....

It would be ideal if someone could look into the prospect of getting full internet access in the club night ballroom.

Hotels generally charge for this, but if anyone has some sort of local connections with the hotel or if you know someone on the host committee, perhap someone will underwrite it.

Or perhaps the NHC has secured it and all we have to do s tap off thier wireless.

I brought a router connected to the Verizon's cell network, but the connection was crappy and spotty.

I'm going to work with TXBrew on some of the due outs that Dude posted and will keep everyone updated on shirts, etc.

I think it mission critical to get internet in the ballroom.

That's who/what we are.

Who is airtight/leadpipe locked into being there on Thursday and can serve as the contact for club night Friday and ensure that we are registered?

If you are coming to Cincinnati this summer and your club wants to share in the fun during Club Night, you must register before June 1st. Send your club name, location and contact information to Jennifer at [email protected].

olllllo said:
Who is airtight/leadpipe locked into being there on Thursday and can serve as the contact for club night Friday and ensure that we are registered?

I will definitely be there before then. I signup up for the bourbon distillery tour on Wednesday, so I'll be there before then!

I can do it- except after June 14, I will not have any internet access at all so I can't "check in" with HBTers. I can give my cellphone number to one of you, though, if you need something when I'm on the road.

Do we have a list of HBT'rs coming? I can get shirts made and bring them with me (better & cheaper than Cafe Press) . I need the artwork to do so.

I'm getting a quote for 25 shirts right now. Sand color, 100% cotton, with the logo on the back and a small one on the front left breast. The graphic is about 6 colors I think. I should have the quote later today.

Update on the shirts. No word on the grapic, but with 6 colors, the setup charge alone is 120 bucks.

Here's a different idea. Go to http://www.zazzle.com/ and have a custom shirt made. I'm thinking of having a shirt with HomeBrewTalk.com on the front and my avatar on the back. Thoughts?

On another note, it looks like I am flying in solo as family scheduling conflict messed with my driving in idea. I'll have to travel with some bottled Apfelwein instead of a keg. SWMBO says I owe her big time.

Yeah, I'll be there Thursday at some point. I am however, trying to split my time accordingly between my local club that I'm coming up with and the HBTers.

I figure everything's going the way of organized, drucken chaos at night though and will all work out in the long run.

Just talked to SWMBO about it, she thinks its will be a good weekend away. I'm 50/50 on it for now, should know for sure within a couple weeks.

Not to come across aggressive, but make up your mind as soon as possible. This conference will sell out any day now: the two hotels are already booked as is the banquet Saturday night.

Ok guys, making a few shirts with our great logo will cost $25+ each that is IF I can get my hands on the artwork. www.zazzle.com can make custom one off shirts pretty reasonable. Here's an example of Club night shirt with HomeBrewTalk.Com on the front and and the Avatar with SN on the back. I don't know what font Tex uses for his HBT Decals, but this is fairly close.

AHCShirtFront.jpg
AHCShirtBack.jpg

And for the Ladies

AHCYooper2.jpg
AHCYooper1.jpg

Ya'll can pick your shirt style & color, but I think the name on the front and the avatar and sn on the back will generate interest in HBT.

Thoughts anyone?

Cool ED!

Here is the word on the internet access, which is not good.

Hello Rob,

This is Rob Westendorf. I'm the chairman of the local committee. I checked with both the hotel and the AHA. Internet access inside the ballroom is not included in our contract with the hotel, and it's a rather hefty extra charge to provide it. Wireless access is available for free in all of the "public spaces" of the hotel. There is a public reception area immediately outside of the ballroom, which should have access. That's probably the best we're going to be able to provide.

See you in June!
Rob

I'll check on the internet access charge, but I'll expect somrthing like $200/day.

I sent an email to find out the precise location of the ballroom. I can forsee 3 possibilities.

1) The room is close enough.
2) The room is not close enough, but we can setup out own pirate WAP to bridge the connection. (risky)
3) I *might* be able to get a Verizon data card with a router like we did last year, however, it was a spotty connection. You know... cellphones and hotels.

Back