News To Me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keyman

Reaction score
I was told by several of my friends that when I enter a brew competition that I should never send the beer through regular US Mail cause it was illegal. They said I need to send it by a private shipper like UPS or Fedex. I just sent in some beer to a competition and by my surprise I received a phone call this morning telling me that my package was leaking beer and it was illegal to ship with there company (UPS) I was surprised. First of all I wrapped the containers at least 4 time each with bubble wrap. Then I packed them in a plastic bag and put it in a box layered with bubble wrap. I made sure they were secure and sealed up in the box. The only thing I can figure out was they were playing catch with my package and dropped it on the concrete or the box was left outside and frozen with the zero weather we are having. Either way the bottle broke cutting the bubble wrap and the containment bag causing it to leak. I did some checking and now found out that it is diffidently illegal in most states to ship an alcohol beverage unless you are a licensed manufacturer. Anyone else had this problem? Anyway there goes my beer competition ventures unless they are local... http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/mad.gif

I was told by several of my friends that when I enter a brew competition that I should never send the beer through regular US Mail cause it was illegal. They said I need to send it by a private shipper like UPS or Fedex. I just sent in some beer to a competition and by my surprise I received a phone call this morning telling me that my package was leaking beer and it was illegal to ship with there company (UPS) I was surprised. First of all I wrapped the containers at least 4 time each with bubble wrap. Then I packed them in a plastic bag and put it in a box layered with bubble wrap. I made sure they were secure and sealed up in the box. The only thing I can figure out was they were playing catch with my package and dropped it on the concrete or the box was left outside and frozen with the zero weather we are having. Either way the bottle broke cutting the bubble wrap and the containment bag causing it to leak. I did some checking and now found out that it is diffidently illegal in most states to ship an alcohol beverage unless you are a licensed manufacturer. Anyone else had this problem? Anyway there goes my beer competition ventures unless they are local...

I never ship beer to competitions. I ship "packaged yeast samples". And it is illegal to ship via USPS. UPS and Fedex have policies that prevent you form shipping beer. The trick is all in the packaging. I ship "box-in-a-box". First, my beers (or rather yeast samples) are labeled with the competition label (inserted in a plastic bag in case of leakage) and wrapped in bubble wrap, then placed in a box with a bag of packing peanuts on the bottom of the box that forms a "nest" in the box. Then another bag of peanuts serves as a cap over the bottles in the nest. I bag the peanuts so the competition site doesn't have to deal with loose peanuts. Then that box is sealed. I line a larger box with a heavy duty trash bag, and put a bag of peanuts in the bottom, put the first box in and add another cap bag of packing peanuts. I tie off the bag to contain any unexpected leakage. I tape the box up, and send it on the way. I often take it to an office supply store that ships, because they don't ask me what's inside. So far, no issues.

Best of luck!

There is legality and then there are policies. UPS has a policy. If a bottle burst then for it to break through bubble wrap AND cut the bag seems odd. If the box was smashed then the situation seems more plausible.

First place @ toperM, I only sent this post ONE time. That was around 11 Am (central) this morning. If another one got posted it was NOT by me. Now back on subject. I got my box back from UPS. I picked it up at the center about 40 miles from me. I inspected the box carefully. The bottles were all wrapped good. The one that broke cut through bubble & protective garbage bag I had for containment. The only logical explanation I figured it was dropped on something pointy. I like the idea of shipping yeast samples, thanks...

Freezing temps will do it -ESPECIALLY if it goes over a weekend, and sits somewhere in the cold. I ship UPS all the time. I did have a bottle break once - when I first started shipping. Did not pack as well as I should and I shipped over a weekend in cold weather. Pretty sure it was the cold that did it.
I always try to ship on monday or tuesday to ensure that it gets there in a day or two. Like others, I use a sturdy box, reinforce it with cardboard or styrofoam if necessary. Garbage bag line, wrap in small size bubble wrap (2-3 sheets). Make sure that the bottles fit into box very snug so that the bottles do not move at all. News paper in around the necks to keep everything motionless. Big bubble wrap on top and seal it up.
..... yeast samples, canned goods, nonperishable food items if asked.

I would not give up on shipping beer - just gotta get a really good system down.

I actually found out its illegal to take homebrew across state lines!

aren't laws regarding alcohol handled by the states? So it might be illegal to bring it into a certain state, but not universally illegal to move across state lines.

Of course they have to prove that it was alcoholic vs. non-alcoholic beer....

Another though would be to have members of the AHA lobby local and federal politicians to pass a bill allowing beer or wine to be shipped to a brew show for competition only. "Just a thought". They did past the bill allowing you to take homebrew into a bar for sampling back in July.

Apparently there are some people working on this very issue (legalizing mailing of alcoholic beverages): http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/30/mail-alcohol-restrictions-proposal/3316837/
...is the AHA involved with this at all?

That change in law would affect only breweries who sell the product, not individuals.

The new law would only apply to federally licensed breweries and wineries and would not allow private residents to ship alcohol to other residents.

So we would still be screwed.

I never ship beer to competitions. I ship "packaged yeast samples". And it is illegal to ship via USPS. UPS and Fedex have policies that prevent you form shipping beer. The trick is all in the packaging. I ship "box-in-a-box". First, my beers (or rather yeast samples) are labeled with the competition label (inserted in a plastic bag in case of leakage) and wrapped in bubble wrap, then placed in a box with a bag of packing peanuts on the bottom of the box that forms a "nest" in the box. Then another bag of peanuts serves as a cap over the bottles in the nest. I bag the peanuts so the competition site doesn't have to deal with loose peanuts. Then that box is sealed. I line a larger box with a heavy duty trash bag, and put a bag of peanuts in the bottom, put the first box in and add another cap bag of packing peanuts. I tie off the bag to contain any unexpected leakage. I tape the box up, and send it on the way. I often take it to an office supply store that ships, because they don't ask me what's inside. So far, no issues.

Best of luck!

I hate to nitpick here but I've never understood why someone would ship beer and mention to the shipper (USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.) that they are shipping "packaged yeast samples." Why mention anything close to beer/wine/fermentation to begin with? I never tell any logistics company what I am shipping unless they ask. I tell them it's glassware and that's it. No weird look on their faces. No weird look on my face. No weird look on anyone's face in the store. Everyone's happy.

I hate to nitpick here but I've never understood why someone would ship beer and mention to the shipper (USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.) that they are shipping "packaged yeast samples." Why mention anything close to beer/wine/fermentation to begin with? I never tell any logistics company what I am shipping unless they ask. I tell them it's glassware and that's it. No weird look on their faces. No weird look on my face. No weird look on anyone's face in the store. Everyone's happy.

It's just one of the many ways to give them an answer without lying.

You could tell them you are sending water samples and it would be just as accurate. After all, most of beer is water!

It's just one of the many ways to give them an answer without lying.

You could tell them you are sending water samples and it would be just as accurate. After all, most of beer is water!

"Shipping yeast samples" is a lot different from beer. Yeast samples are taxed like beer/alcohol? I think not.

Now, if someone wants to go down the honest route and tell the carriers they're shipping beer outright, keep me posted as to how that experience goes.

I never mention it. But, I (my wife) has been asked. She replies with "nonperishable food items" or "canned goods". Yeah - I would never mention it if I was not asked. And, almost never asked........ of course, at this point I am pretty well positive our UPS shipper knows exactly what is being shipped.

"Don't ask, Don't tell" seems to be the unwritten/unspoken agreement we have with the UPS drop off.

Good move. It's a lot easier for those of you who can schedule pickups. I usually leave my shipments on the front porch and the carrier will pick it up. I don't have to talk to anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

UPS and FedEx are not concerned about insuring that taxes have been collected on the contents of the box they are transporting.

Neither should USPS. I'm paying them to ship something. Ship the darn thing and stop raising the price of stamps.

Good move. It's a lot easier for those of you who can schedule pickups. I usually leave my shipments on the front porch and the carrier will pick it up. I don't have to talk to anyone.

Because of the nature of my work, both UPS and FedEx stop at my office every day (UPS actually stops at least twice a day) We print our own shipping labels here, and then get a bill from UPS once a month with the cost for each package itemized -- and the nature of what we ship varies enough they never ask questions. Kind of nice, when you get down to it.

Back