Newby brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeble

Reaction score
Recently started brewing with my first being a decent bitter ale. Just finished primary fermentation and bottled half, and kegged the other half from a 5 gallon vessel. Looking forward to trying it, but it tasted good when I measured its FG šŸ˜Š

I am a little worried about oxidation though, as I did slosh it around when kegging.
I also messed up when priming šŸ˜¬ (didn't dissolve the sugar before adding it...)

Anyway, I look forward to being part of this forum and hopefully learning plenty on my brewing journey šŸ˜…

Welcome to brewing and HBT.

I really hate to be negative about your first batch, but really should warn you. If the sugar wasn't evenly distributed you'll have some bottles under carb'd and some over carb'd. If extreme, the over carb'd bottles could build up too much pressure and explode. I would keep them in a protected place and handle them carefully. When opening the bottle, use precautions. On the first bottle of a batch, I routinely fold a dish towel twice and put it over the bottle, then open from the far side. And I wear safety glasses. Good luck with it.

Welcome to brewing and HBT.

I really hate to be negative about your first batch, but really should warn you. If the sugar wasn't evenly distributed you'll have some bottles under carb'd and some over carb'd. If extreme, the over carb'd bottles could build up too much pressure and explode. I would keep them in a protected place and handle them carefully. When opening the bottle, use precautions. On the first bottle of a batch, I routinely fold a dish towel twice and put it over the bottle, then open from the far side. And I wear safety glasses. Good luck with it.

It was a complete oversight, hence the sloshing around.
In my first I vaguely remember dissolving the sugar in boiling water before adding it. I had borrowed a friend's home brew text book and followed it to the word.
This time I felt much more prepared and was well on top of sterilising all my equipment and had everything ready, until priming and then messed up. Fingers crossed its okay, but I'm concerned there is a ton of sugar just sat at the bottom of my pressure cask.

It won't be your last oversight. I've been brewing for 15 years and still keep hoping my latest will be my last, but they keep happening.

How are you carbonating the beer you kegged? I hope you're force carbing because 2.5 gallons in a 5 gallon keg is way too much head space for natural carbonation.

Back