Newbie Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefflandis

Reaction score
Hello, I have a couple of questions.

During the boil and after pouring the wort into the primary, I usually see scum that forms on the surface of the wort. Is it recommended that I skim this scum off as it forms or let it be part of the process and do not worry about it. I was wondering if this affects taste/clarity in any way? Is there a point where I should worry about skimming anything, even through the ferment?

I have been reading some of these forum posts and I have come across a few that mention after boil and upon cooling the wort, they stir the wort vigorously and let then let the stuff from the whirlpool action settle on the bottom of the pot. Is that the right action involved or is there another way to do that. And what exactly is that accomplishing?

If that is the right way, how do you avoid the stuff that collects at the bottom? Do you just siphon from the middle of the wort and leave an inch or so in the pot? Same concept as transferring primary to secondary? This was a bit confusing because I also see that some pour the wort directly into primary to increase aeration...but doing this would only pour everything right back into the mix.

Any comments please, thanks!

No need to skim anything from your beer. It's all good. It won't make your beer taste bad or cloudy.

The whirlpool is done so that most of the sediment concentrates itself to a small little pile in the center of the pot. This just makes it a little easier to pour the wort into the fermenter while leaving sediment behind. It's completely optional. A lot of people just dump everything into the fermenter, all the sediment and all. There is no right or wrong way and the beer will turn out fine either way.

Definitely no need to skim whatever collects on top of the beer, that is just hop particles and adds to the flavor of your beer.

As for the whirlpooling, marubozo is correct. It helps to collect most of the sediment in the middle of your brew pot, making it easier to siphon from the edge of the pot, leaving most of the sediment in the pot.

During fermentation, more sediment will be left at the bottom of your fermentation vessel (ale pail or carboy), so don't fret when you see it.

Latest posts

Back