Newbie Question - Using a Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh M.

Reaction score
I am in the early phases of learning and building knowledge and understanding of the cider brewing process, and have not yet brewed my first batch or purchased the necessary equipment. I've read several books and browsed various forums and I've seen lots of brewing-in-progress photos and lists of preferred equipment more experienced cider makers use. Which brings me to a point I've been wondering...I am of the mindset I'd rather spend more money on better equipment up front than inevitably spend it later upgrading from products I no longer find satisfactory.

Most of the material I've read so far highlights the benefits of low temperature/long duration fermentations for higher quality of cider. I live in central Alabama, which has sustained high temperatures throughout the summer and early fall months. I am considering purchasing the Grainfather Conical Fermenter and glycol chiller for the fermenter's double-walled and insulated features, which I believe will help maintain cool temps to a higher degree during summer months. I do not have a basement in my home, so temperature control is something I will look to technology to help with.

Has anyone used this particular setup for cider brewing, or have any insight or input or other equipment recommendations that would help guide me as I begin this process?

Thank you,
Josh M.

A secondhand fridge and a temperature controller ( inkbird or STC 1000) with a plastic or other metal conical fermenter. Lots of cider fermented in carboys with an airlock which would also fit in a fridge. Doesn't have to be expensive and shiny to make good cider.

Do you have a room that you can dedicate to your cider when you are making it and also serve a cool store purpose at other times?

I have a small concrete block "cool store" which we use for cider, preserves, storing produce etc. It has an el-cheapo cooling air condirioner with a simple thermostat which is set to 15C (60F). It works well in summer keeping the temperature below 18C then has a rest from early fall to late spring when the ambient temperatures are below this.

So I can just ferment in a bucket or carboy without spending an arm and a leg on special equipment and still get good results.

Cheap and effective which allows me to both ferment and store at desirable temperatures.

Last edited:
Do you have a room that you can dedicate to your cider when you are making it and also serve a cool store purpose at other times?

I have a small concrete block "cool store" which we use for cider, preserves, storing produce etc. It has an el-cheapo cooling air condirioner with a simple thermostat which is set to 15C (60F). It works well in summer keeping the temperature below 18C then has a rest from early fall to late spring when the ambient temperatures are below this.

So I can just ferment in a bucket or carboy without spending an arm and a leg on special equipment and still get good results.

Cheap and effective which allows me to both ferment and store at desirable temperatures.

That's a great idea! I do have an hvac equipped shed on my property that I usually do not maintain temp at unless I'm working in it. I'll check month over month electric usage if I run it to maintain a ferment friendly temp constantly and determine if that's a feasible option, once the weather warms up a bit (28* tonight brrrrrrrr).

Heating belt uses max 30 watts, put a sleeping bag over the fermenter as well and you can poke the bubbler out of the unzipped foot end.
Stand it on some insulation not directly on the floor. Much cheaper than warming the whole room. Quicker and cheaper to put a jumper and hat on than to turn the heating up or light the fire.

Heating belt uses max 30 watts, put a sleeping bag over the fermenter as well and you can poke the bubbler out of the unzipped foot end.
Stand it on some insulation not directly on the floor. Much cheaper than warming the whole room. Quicker and cheaper to put a jumper and hat on than to turn the heating up or light the fire.

Thank you for the reply...I'm primarily concerned about cooling the fermenting cider, as the Birmingham, Alabama area gets into the high 90s-low 100s during summer, and all the reading I've done suggests that lower temps are crucial for a successful cider.

Ahh sorry forgot you are north, we're heading into winter.
Insulation and some plastic bottles of frozen water under the "bag" will help to keep it cool, changed daily once active ferment is over ( which produces heat ).

A small chest freezer is less than $200. Add a temperature controller and you're good to go. When the next pandemic hits, you'll have room to store extra frozen food. Another option is to make cider in the Fall/Winter when your ambient temperatures are cooler.
You could also try kviek beer yeasts that don't need temperature control.

Big fan of the kviek, forgot to mention that. Would need to add a good double dose of yeast nutrient. I suppose another option might be a Saison yeast as they like it hot. Could do a co ferment with kveik and saison yeast.
I bought small chest freezer just a year ago before we went into lockdown, perfect timing I'd lined it up for a keezer when I saw it. Now it's a food freezer but I've corralled a part for hops and the frozen kveik.

Latest posts

Back