Newbie mistake-Beware of Instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezemm

Reaction score
Well, before I knew of this website, I thought I understood what "just before boil" means. I do my extract kits on a gas stove with a 2.5 gallon boil. I even had a thermometer, but once again I was going on the "just before boil" text right in front of me.

I steeped my grains all the way up to 190 degrees! To me just before boil means somewhere close to 212 degrees. After reading a lot about steeping right at 160 degrees to avoid the tannin issue, I'm not sure what will become of my beer. (but hey I learned something!)

I bottled it this past weekend and had a taste and to my surprise it was not bad at all. Just a rookie mistake since this was my first extract...why would instructions be so vague though? Can you get away with just plopping the bag in there and pulling right before a rolling boil starts? Seems to be a lot of risk involved...

Welcome!
When I used to steep grains I would add them to the water while it was heating up to a very light boil (when you start to see small bubbles on the bottom and I never had an issue. You could let them steep in the water until it reached 160 F, kill the heat, let it steep/mash for 30 min. I wouldn't take it any higher than 185 F myself.
Just my $.02

I bottled it this past weekend and had a taste and to my surprise it was not bad at all. Just a rookie mistake since this was my first extract...why would instructions be so vague though? Can you get away with just plopping the bag in there and pulling right before a rolling boil starts? Seems to be a lot of risk involved...

Apparently you proved that you can get away with it. I've heard that it doesn't cause huge issues because you use a relatively small amount of grains in an extract w/ steeping grains batch. If I were you I wouldn't risk it though.

The first batch that I brewed I left the flavoring grains in until about 190 degrees. It had a tannin aftertaste, not horrible but definitely there.

I usually put my grains in, fire up the kettle, and when it hits 165F, I pull the grains and let them drain.

This 'cold' steeping works well and lessens harsh flavors from dark kilned malts like roasted barley.
And if the grains can't convert, there's no good point in holding a temp of 150F since you're not getting sugars from the grain.

Heck, my very first batch I followed the dreaded Alton Brown instructions and left them in the full boil... Beer turned out fine. Obviously not award winning and I was biased as it was my first homebrew, but I drank every last drop. :mug:

Heck, my very first batch I followed the dreaded Alton Brown instructions and left them in the full boil... Beer turned out fine. Obviously not award winning and I was biased as it was my first homebrew, but I drank every last drop. :mug:

You didn't share with anyone? Shame on you! J/k :p I use a digital meat thermometer for my brewing and was talking to my buddy while raising the temp and didn't notice the auto shut off happened on the thermometer. Since it was shut off the alarm didn't go off and the temp got over 195. It didn't taste bad but you could tell it went a little over. Of course my pallet isn't that good so some one else might not like it. I think working in a chemical plant has destroyed my chances of ever being a great beer taster.

Just remember, you will make mistakes. You'll probably also have to dump out some beer, sucks, but it happens.

Ever since my first batch, I have followed this tip that was on the instruction sheet "Relax. Give yourself plenty of time. Go slow and be patient. Drink a homebrew from an old batch and have fun."

You can't take this too serious. As long as it tastes good and gives you a buzz, who cares?

Back