newbie hydrometer mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbosky

Reaction score
I made a careless mistake and forgot to take a hydrometer reading before I started the primary fermentation. It has been in the primary fermenter for about 30 hours now. I just took a reading but its already been fermenting for 30 hours. Is there anything I can do now to get an accurate alcohol content?

Was the brew a beginner's extract kit or more complex? The basic kits tend to have known OG readings because they are fixed amounts of fermentables. If all grain or complex extract kit with a boil, only way would be to see how far it gets you drunk compared to known ABV% beer. 🍻😉

it was more complex. the video im following says it should yield about 10-11% but i put about 14 cups of sugar as opposed to the videos reccomended 12 cups. is there any way to estimate how much sugar would have fermented in that 30 hours.
if it helps after that 30 hours it had a specific gravity of 1.072

Back