Newbie from NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrogDawn

Reaction score
Good day HBT!

Been lurking around here for a few months and have even brewed 3 batches so far, so I figured I should go ahead and introduce myself. Live around the Raleigh, NC area. Classically trained for 4.5 years at NC State University in volume beer quality control of American Pilsners. Historically preferred porters and stouts but have found a good bit of enjoyment in treating my palate to a wide range of styles. Recently married, became a father, and bitten by the brewing bug.

A big thank you to all of the current and former members for the oodles of information here. I've read many threads and articles and I look forward to reading/learning even more.

Brewed 1st batch early October, American Amber extract kit with steeping grains.
Brewed second batch 3rd week of October, Oatmeal stout extract kit with partial mash.
Brewed third batch this past week, Mosaic Honey Wheat (BIAB with batch sparge) posted in Recipes by Rivenin. Made a few minor changes to it and just yesterday split into 3 secondary fermentors for 'experimenting' :D

So far everything has been looking, smelling, and tasting great!

Going forward, I'm trying to learn/experiment more with respect to wrangling wild bugs, cultivating bottle dregs, starting a sours pipeline and continuing to brew a myriad of beer styles while still dailing in a reproducible process.

Welcome to the disease..I mean hobby.
I am in Charlotte myself so if you ever want to head down and brew up a batch on my EHERMS system, let me know!

If you have any wants and needs im in Garner. All grain brewer with 3 years experience. Ales and lagers.

For those in the greater raleigh area GRABASS. Its a real thing. Greater raleigh brewers and sud sippers. Grabass.net for all the dick jokes and brewing disorginzation a brewer needs.

Hello from Raleigh, as well!

"Classically trained for 4.5 years at NC State University in volume beer quality control of American Pilsners" made me laugh.

Cheers from all of the ABS Crew!

Welcome from SC. Love those barrel aged sours you are aiming at! Doesn't get much better than Wicked Weed in Asheville. Place is kid friendly too...take the baby, so loud nobody notices. BTW...BIAB rocks and is probably the best way to go from here.

Stay cool with the wild bugs. Keep your eye on Omega Labs for funky stuff.

Wow, I had no idea there were so many from the Triangle area... welcome from a newbie in Raleigh!

Wow! That's awesome! So many and you're all very kind/generous. Thanks a bunch to everyone for the warm welcome! I really appreciate all of the offers and will certainly keep you in mind as I progress through all stages of the addiction :D

Thanks for the tips Morrey. Actually just started culturing some OLY-218 "All the Bretts" and some Heady Topper's Conan yeast (culturing separately fwiw) that I acquired from a co-worker yesterday... looking forward to using those in some brews ASAP. If anyone has suggestions or experience with either, I'm all ears! Also picked up my first 2 bottles of Wicked Weed yesterday. Marina and Le Bonte. Just waiting for the right time to enjoy them and pitch the dregs.

In an effort to expand my beer palate, I've picked up an 1809 Berliner, Duchese de Bourgogne, the 2 Wicked Weeds mentioned above, Kriek Boon, Ommegang 3 Philosophers and also just tried a Sierra Nevada Otra Vez. Learning everyday!

Anyway, hoppy Thanksgiving to you all!

Welcome from Kenly. My daughter is finishing her senior year at NCSU so we frequent Raleigh to see her... and to stop by Atlantic Brew Supply of course!

Back