Newbie concord recipe/advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex1

Reaction score
I have access to a couple nice old concord vines. For years ive been doing the typical juice/jelly thing which is always enjoyable. This year do to my emerging obsession with brewing im thinking of making some wine as well.
I am well aware of the fact that concords are not the best wine grape out there but I am fine with that. If I could make something that comes even close to most commerically available jewish/sacermental wine that would be great.

If anyone could push me in the right direction with a recipe that a beer guy can understand that would be awsome. Im looking to just make 2/3 gallons max. Actually was thinking of using my old mr.beer keg to ferment it in if thats ok? Biggest concern is fermentation itself if it requires cool fermentation like beer I may not even be able to find space to keep it cool for months on end? I just need alot of help basically. I think?

I have access to a couple nice old concord vines. For years ive been doing the typical juice/jelly thing which is always enjoyable. This year do to my emerging obsession with brewing im thinking of making some wine as well.
I am well aware of the fact that concords are not the best wine grape out there but I am fine with that. If I could make something that comes even close to most commerically available jewish/sacermental wine that would be great.

If anyone could push me in the right direction with a recipe that a beer guy can understand that would be awsome. Im looking to just make 2/3 gallons max. Actually was thinking of using my old mr.beer keg to ferment it in if thats ok? Biggest concern is fermentation itself if it requires cool fermentation like beer I may not even be able to find space to keep it cool for months on end? I just need alot of help basically. I think?

Concord wine can be very nice- and not necessarily in a sweet Manischewitz way. I mean, you can go sweet with it if you want, but it can be very nice dry or as a semi-sec as well.

You may ferment it in the 70s with great results, depending on yeast strain choice.

Because they tend to be very high in malic acid, I'd choose a yeast strain that metabolizes more malic acid. I'd use 71B-1122.

Take a look at Jack Kellers website and his recipes for concord wine: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques10.asp

Back